Harvesting Burdock Roots

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
Given that most wild plants seem to be ahead of themselves this year, I'm wondering when it might be suitable to gather burdock roots. I've seen loads of burdock on my walks near home, many of which now have burs.

I haven't done this before, so I wonder which plants I should go for. I think I am right in saying that burdock is a biennial so I'm assuming that the ones with burs are in their second year, so probably aren't the best ones to gather and that I should go for the first year ones that have fattened up their roots to get through the winter (presumably the ones without burs). Should I wait until the leaves are dying before gathering?

I also think I am right in saying that it is illegal to uproot wild plants so I probably shouldn't be thinking about doing this - but with literally hundreds of plants along the edges of the farmers' fields that the public footpaths run through I'm tempted to take one or two.

Geoff

andyn

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
Your pretty much right regarding all the points above. Go for ones in their first year without burs, you can source these now, with land owners permisson, you dont have to wait for the leaves to die.

Bare in mind that anything along the edge of farm fields will likely have also been partically sprayed with one chemical or another.

Most wheat fields will now have been sprayed with roundup or a similar a strong systemic herbicide around this time of year after harvest.

Not the best place to forage really.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE