Handle Help - Draw Knife

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
I'm looking for a bit of advice on rehandling a drawknife (courtesy of Biker - thanks mate!).

Picture attached. I've cleaned it up and removed any serious corrosion, although it still has a lovely patina where there is some pitting, and the edge itself is now straight and clean.

3522q01.jpg

I assume some ash bits, initially blocks, and then I draw a profile on and cut/sand to the profile. Drill holes in the bottom and hammer them onto the tangs.

One of the tangs is longer than the other and one has a small metal button on top (which I'll remove). Should I reshape?

I'd also like some advice on sharpening - ie, what sort of edge profile should I be aiming for? Should it be flat on the bottom and then a kind of Scandi grind on the top side?

Any advice on either would be appreciated.

Last edited:

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Looks like the typical French pattern drawknife.

drawknife_IMG_3385.jpg

You are quite right Mikey - you can start with a block of wood, shape it and then attach.

Some one on here used a couple of door handles and just drilled them. A friction fit should be enough but a drop of alradite will make it very secure.

As for sharpening you want a chisel edge. There will be a definite top and bottom. (looks upside down in that pic) - but it depends on the grinds as to which way up it goes. - flat on the bottom, chisel egde on the top.

I'm busy with exams at the moment so I can't give you a hand, but shoot me a pm if you are having trouble.
All the best

Andy

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
flat on the bottom, chisel edge on the top.

Personally I would dub the bottom edge off a few degrees (give it a very shallow bevel) to give the drawknife more versatility.

I've done it on one of mine years ago but have also seen it described in Leonard Lee's Complete Guide to Sharpening book and I feel they work better with it.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
I have a drawknife very similar. I was using it the other day and was actually thinking that golf balls would probably make good replacement handles, if ever required - I already use them for file handles!

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
I have a drawknife very similar. I was using it the other day and was actually thinking that golf balls would probably make good replacement handles, if ever required - I already use them for file handles!

they make good file handles. :D

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Thanks guys! I will try the door handle idea (genius!) with golf ball back-up plan!

By the way, which way up should it be when you're using it? Biff question but might save me a lot of work!

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
The French ones I've used have always been orientated like the one in my earlier pic.

But I can't tell if that is how your one has been ground.

All the best
Andy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE