Hand protection when carving

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bert333

Settler
Jan 15, 2008
Earth- for awhile longer...
Thanks to a heads up from INDOORSOUT, I looked into protective gloves for when I carve.
I tested out 2 gloves made by BMPOLYCO ltd
1st was the (white) Dyflex 8222 which has a 'slicing protection of 3
2nd was the tougher (black) Dyflex Plus 8878 which has the highest protection of 5
Both gave good dexterity and I hardly noticed the slightly thicker feel of the 'Plus' which is the one I am going to buy as I need all the margins I can get!!
Both offer a 'rubber' type grip on the palm side and hold the wood steady-

* 8222 refers to size 8 for the Dyflex
* 8878 " " " Dyflex PLUS

well worth having if my scars are anything to go by!
The salesman for the South of UK is Paul England 07917 574948
DSCN1990.jpg

Indoorsout

Settler
Apr 29, 2008
Brisbane, Australia
Ah yes, it's the white ones I have. Good to hear of another supplier, I haven't managed to cut them yet but there's plenty of time :D

The rubberised grip on the palms and fingers is excellent, giving good grip without interfering. Now the only thing I have to do is remember to put them on more often!

Leonidas

Settler
Oct 13, 2008
Briton
www.mammothblades.com
Hi - Did you consider the Skytex Colorado Security 5 Glove, got them on evil-bay at around £30 all in.

Out of curiosity, would love to know how the Dyflex PLUS stacks up against the Skytex on price.

Regards

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
I know some folk like gloves but to my mind it is far better to learn safe knife use. There are a limited number of knife grips which once mastered allow you to do any cutting task you ever need safely, efficiently and without danger to hands.

bert333

Settler
Jan 15, 2008
Earth- for awhile longer...
You're a 'pro' Robin so it's a piece of cake for you!
But the reality is that, for mere mortals like 'moi' carving spoons and especially kuksa's.... every little bit of help is welcome.
I find, no matter how careful I am, when there are tricky-er bits or knots in the way or weird shapes (digging out a bowl qualifies!) it is just too easy to slip
at times and in my case a few times:rolleyes:

and Leonidas- yes I did have a look but those are very thick and IMHO, cumbersome-
The Dyflex Plus really feel as if their were 'sprayed on' if you know what I mean and give fantastic feedback.

So for me, it's gloves from now on..... cozzz I'm worth it :D

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Thanks for posting this. I'm a strong believer in wearing a carving glove as well as using thumb protection. And I know professional carvers that still cut themselves. Some nasty cuts too.

Unfortunatly most carving gloves do not protect against puncture wounds, which often occur while using a gouge to carve small items you hold in your hand.

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I know some folk like gloves but to my mind it is far better to learn safe knife use. There are a limited number of knife grips which once mastered allow you to do any cutting task you ever need safely, efficiently and without danger to hands.

I have to strongly agree with the above and also add that Robin is exactly who I would suggest as a teacher;)

However, in the meantime, a kevlar glove is a good idea. Remember that they will not prevent stab or puncture type injuries only slash/incised wounds.

We were taught the grips by Robin last September, when he came up to Chopwell Wood to run a spoon carving training weekend for us. Most of the techniques were really very simple and once mastered, made the production of carved items very much more efficient and safer.

cheers
R.B.

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
i think for cuts and stabs the only real protection is good safe techniques. just remember all protective equipment is only 'resistant' not 'proof' and it can oftern give people a false sence of security

pete

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE