Hammock setup in the back garden

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

salan

Nomad
Jun 3, 2007
Cheshire
I usually use tents, but I want to try hammocks. I think that for my back they may be better.
BUT I want to try various setups at home. The trouble is we only have one tree with a trunk thick enough to even begin to support me!
Ye sbefore anyone says it I am over weight (read fat sod). The tree in question has a trunk diameter of just under six inches. I suspect that will do (I weight 18 stone). But what can I 'rig up' for the other end?
Unfortunately the tree is in the corner of the garden (remember this is a typical small UK garden only 60ft square).
So anyone any ideas what I could use to try various tarp and hammock setups in the garden?
The fences are the usual post/base panels.
Alan

Hog On Ice

Nomad
Oct 19, 2012
Virginia, USA
well I don't know if it will work for your garden but I have had some success using a slanted pole and two ground anchors for one end of a hammock stand with a smallish footprint

attachment.php

Ed Edwards

Dec 17, 2012
Kent/London
I usually use tents, but I want to try hammocks. I think that for my back they may be better.
BUT I want to try various setups at home. The trouble is we only have one tree with a trunk thick enough to even begin to support me!
Ye sbefore anyone says it I am over weight (read fat sod). The tree in question has a trunk diameter of just under six inches. I suspect that will do (I weight 18 stone). But what can I 'rig up' for the other end?
Unfortunately the tree is in the corner of the garden (remember this is a typical small UK garden only 60ft square).
So anyone any ideas what I could use to try various tarp and hammock setups in the garden?
The fences are the usual post/base panels.
Alan

I use my 'one' tree and an A frame the other end. I made a wooden one till I realised the kids swing was better. You'll need an anchor for the A frame though and I just run a rope to a fence post (that would never hold my weight, but will support an anchor at ground level. It works really well; if a little unsightly.

I hope that makes sense?!

Ed

Lister

Settler
Apr 3, 2012
Runcorn, Cheshire
I rig mine in the backgarden, the garden is about 15ft across and is one of them back gardens that have the concrete H fence posts along with the 5ft high wood fence panels. I whack a climbing sling on top of each fence post/panel (leaves about 6in of panel the sling) and then whoopies off the slings.

The slings don't grip the post as opposed to sitting on top of the fence panels, so theoretically it is those that are taking my weight, that being said i'm not exactly heavy at 10st.

Seoras

Mod
Mod
Oct 7, 2004
Bramley, Hampshire
Hi Alan

I have the same problem with trees being to far apart in the garden. I have been playing around with hammock stands that do not need ground anchors. This is an idea I came across on the Hammock forum.

Have a look at this thread I put up before. I think the top pole on the stand in the thread takes a weight of about 16 stone but you could engineer one to take more weight easily

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=89998

I made this one with Spikey at the Moot last year. The top bar is oval shaped and we found that this is far stronger than a round pole. I slept in this one for about 5 nights.

IMAG0955.jpg
[/IMG]

Here are some pictures of earlier models.

http://s219.photobucket.com/albums/cc177/seorasgma/One%20tree%20Hammock/?albumview=slideshow

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

George

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE