Hammock Modification

IntrepidStu

Settler
Apr 14, 2008
Manchester
I have a DD Hammock that needs modifying to stop it becoming a swimming pool in heavy rain. I know that some people cut the straps and attach a carabina in line, but id rather not do that if at all possible. I also know that there is a method of attaching string/cord to all the straps to divert the water to the ground. What I want to know is
1.what is the best (hydrophilic) cord to us for the diverters.
2.Exactly Where to attach them to the main straps and how many to use.
3. how long should they be. Should they actually touch the ground.

and, if i DO decide to use a carabena then:
1.what type do you recommend.
2.when I cut the main straps, what knot would you recommend for joining the ends together.
3.would you then tie a single line from the carabena to the tree (at each end obviously), or would you thread the strap THROUGH the carabena and attach to the tree as usual.

Sorry for all the questions, but I cannot afford to mess it up.
Cheers for any help guys/gals.
Stu

Nelis

Forager
Mar 9, 2007
Oudenbosch
Hi,

I have modified my DD hammock using carabiners, I cut the main straps and simply put a reef knot in them on the side of the hammock tying it together (see how to make the reef not here: http://www.animatedknots.com/reef/index.php ) . I use a single strap to the tree on either side. works great for me, Ihave had the straps to the hammock completly soaked, but no further than the carabiner (obviously make sure the carabiners are under the tarp though). For the carabiners I have chosen for stainless steel ones because they are really cheap, but I guess you can also choose a good climbing carabiner as they are designed to accept the weight of a human without breaking or opening. The carabiner I have has an locking part in the closing part of the thing so it can accept pulling force on the closing part as well (see it here: http://www.rvspaleis.nl/Techniek/Karabijnhaak8249M.jpg ).

The first carabiners I used were cheap aluminium ones wich breaked on me as soon as I tried to get into my hammock so use a good quality one.

Using carabiners on your hammock also has a big advantage if you are out in the rain because you can easily take down the hammock (sleeping bag and all inside), fold it a bit and put it aside on 1 side under your tarp, so you have more room to cook, sit and eat.

Hope this helps, as for using other straps, I have no experience. Hope this helps

Grtz,

Niels

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
I put some info on how I mod'ed mine here. Can't help with the best string as I've not done any experiments, the crabs just work! I got my crabs from (insert punchline here) Tiso in one of their sales but you can probably get them from Go-outdoors etc too. One comment in the Blog was to use some other bit of mountaineering kit which is a bit cheaper.

Hope this helps,

Alan

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
If you cut the main straps then you can't make the hammock wide. As in tie it around a tree very close so that end is almost touching the tree.

Also, Reef knots will only stay tight when under tension so there is a risk of it slackening every time you get off the hammock. Tie the ends in a overhand or fig 8 knot.

Nick

EDIT Just read the chainsaw link, a 'fishermans knot' would do as well.

I cut my straps and put in carabs (climbing ones from Tiso) I used a figure 8 knot on the short ones at the hammok end and a simple loop on the long side which leaves me 2 strap ends of the same length to attach to the tree. Had it out in pouring rain and didn't have any water get past the carabs (which were under the tarp)

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
regarding drip cords in your order of queeries:-
1 - 5-6mm cotton cord is suitable, or anything that soaks up water like a sponge for best effect.
2 - attach cord at each end making sure it is situated about midway between end of tarp and end of hammock, important to make sure it is fixed under tarp, in effect protecting it from rain else the rain will just soak the hammock strap beyond where cord is attached making it useless, use a good tight knot crushing it against strap for maximum effect, fishermans knot is good as you can slide it real tight up to strap, anchor bend/half kitches or similar anything that can be held tight/crushed against strap. I only have one strap each end from tree to hammock so only have one drip cord at each end of hammock, if you have more than one strap from hammock to tree at each end then all straps should be treated similarly.
3 - just 3-4 inches hanging down is enough, certainly no more than 6 inches that is ample (if it's too long it can blow around in the wind and the end may blow into hammock, just a few inches is fine then it won't blow onto anything or tangle with other items)
I don't use crabs.

Lasse

Nomad
Aug 17, 2007
Belgium
regarding drip cords in your order of queeries:-
1 - 5-6mm cotton cord is suitable, or anything that soaks up water like a sponge for best effect.
2 - attach cord at each end making sure it is situated about midway between end of tarp and end of hammock, important to make sure it is fixed under tarp, in effect protecting it from rain else the rain will just soak the hammock strap beyond where cord is attached making it useless, use a good tight knot crushing it against strap for maximum effect, fishermans knot is good as you can slide it real tight up to strap, anchor bend/half kitches or similar anything that can be held tight/crushed against strap. I only have one strap each end from tree to hammock so only have one drip cord at each end of hammock, if you have more than one strap from hammock to tree at each end then all straps should be treated similarly.
3 - just 3-4 inches hanging down is enough, certainly no more than 6 inches that is ample.
I don't use crabs.
Been thinking about doing something like this for a while, thanks for the post mate! Wouldn't 've thought about cord that soaks up a lot of water to get rid of it...

crazydave

Settler
Aug 25, 2006
Gloucester
I recently tried out some toggle ropes off ebay at the moot and I can highly recomend them for simplicity and lack of water tracking :)

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
I find that drip lines just aren't reliable with the DD's webbing, so I switched to crabs and have never looked back.

SCR's advice re an overhand or fig. 8 knot is good. I have the tapes on mine at the hammock end tied that way on both of my DD's and then just Larks Heads for the tapes from the crab to the tree.

I find that setup pretty simple and it works for me even in the worst of Scot's downpours, even worked well at the Moot ;)

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I got my DD second hand and it didn't come with the original webbing so it now a thicker type. i use a pair of plastic DIY grips clips attached so the handle points downward on it and that works fine. they are lighter and cheaper than carbiners.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE