hammock material

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I'd be tempted to avoid the proofed stuff as there's a good chance you'll probably get condensation issues, it could double as a bivvy though like one of the DD ones does.

For a hammock I'd go for something like a 1.1 or 1.7 ripstop.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
sorry what does the 1.1 refer to, weight im assuming, these say they are 120g/m and 200g/m
The americans tend to go by ounces per square metre, which is where the 1.1 , 1.7 etc comes from. This measurement is also taken pre-treatment which means the finished weight is higher. Our sites usually list weight per linear metre on finished fabrics.

As shewie says, I'd avoid the coated fabric unless you are going to copy a DD travel hammock. You want either nylon or polyester. Nylon is much easier to get here and comes in ripstop which is beneficial. Pertex is very suitable for hammocks and will offer some rain resistance whilst being highly breathable and hard wearing. Most commercial hammocks are made from ripstop nylon.

I'd buy from fabrics n stuff as the prices are much better and they carry some really nice stuff that you won't find anywhere else, including pertex. They buy a lot of surplus stock from all sorts of places. I've made pertex hammocks and they are great. I've also used some uber-light 31g/sq metre ripstop that is 1.8m x 3.1m and weighs 500g in a 2 layer version and 280g in a single layer.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I've made pertex hammocks and they are great. I've also used some uber-light 31g/sq metre ripstop that is 1.8m x 3.1m and weighs 500g in a 2 layer version and 280g in a single layer.

Are you bringing some of these along at the weekend Pete, I wouldn't mind a butchers at them.

I'll have the BB and BMBH for you to have a look at :)

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Are you bringing some of these along at the weekend Pete, I wouldn't mind a butchers at them.

I'll have the BB and BMBH for you to have a look at :)

I'm bringing the extra wide dbl with me to sort out the whipping, its not quite right yet. I'll throw a pertex one in the van too.

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
I'm not sure if Taffeta is the same thing. I just went into a fabric shop, told them I was after some lightweight synthetic, they showed me stacks of fabrics. Chose the one they called skirt lining and it worked very well for me.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE