Hadrian's Wall Path

DaveBromley

May 17, 2010
Manchester, England
Hey Guys

Me and a mate are planning to walk the path next year in May, anyone done it here?

Was just after some info really and any tips/tricks that may be useful.

If no one has done it I have my own plans but am wanting to incorporate some insider knowledge lol.

Thanks in advance

Dave

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I did it a couple of years ago bunkhousing rather than camping. "Hadrians Haul" is a company that takes your heavy bags along to your next stopover so you can walk with just day kit.
The owners of the bunkhouses were, without fail, the kindest, most generous folk and the welcome was fantastic!
Bunkhouses that shone above the others were
Houghton North Farm - Haddon on the Hill (Pam runs it and was great at making us feel at home in 4* luxury)
Greencarts - Humshaugh (the farmers wife made her husband drive us to the pub!)
Winshields Farm - Bardon Mill -( very peaceful)
Sandysike - Waldon, Brompton (excellent bunkhouse, 3 legged dog, great owners ... I would like to have chatted forever)
Ashleigh House B&B -Carlisle (Huge breakfasts)

We stayed 2 nights each at Winshields and Ashleigh House the first to visit Vindolanda and the second so we walked from Carlisle to the end of the walk and got the bus back.
Book accom in Carlisle early as it is hard to get good cheap prices.
Keep an eye out for "Honesty tuck shops" along the way - tables at the end of tracks, garden shed etc - sweets and drinks pricelist and box for the dosh ....
The Centurian Inn near Sandysike had an honesty bar as well!

I have walked many LDPs and literally have walked the length and breadth of England (Lands End to the Scottish Border North Sea to Irish sea) but this was the best!
We had lousy weather - hot and wet with thunder and lightning - but the best of times!
PM me with your email and I will send you a copy of my journal :)

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
+1 on sandy sike (I think). If its the same place it is run by a couple (who runs the farm) who have a big old manor type house with a courtyard. You can stay in the house, camp on their lawns or stay in the bunkhouse which used to be the old kennels. They have a black 3 legged Labrador and 2or3 JRTs and you can book a meal which is eaten in their grand dining room with paintings of their ancestors looking down on you.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
PS read the books in the doghouse. There is one from WWII that was issued to GIs giving advice on how to interact with the locals!!! That was very interesting (my Grandad was US 5th back then so probably got one of these. Laugghed at the cricket advice about not celebrating too loud when winning!!!

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
PS read the books in the doghouse. There is one from WWII that was issued to GIs giving advice on how to interact with the locals!!! That was very interesting (my Grandad was US 5th back then so probably got one of these. Laugghed at the cricket advice about not celebrating too loud when winning!!!

That's the one!
Vety good breakfast there - even if it was served by the male owner who was nursing a bad hangover :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE