Guide to crayfish catching (Guardian)

EdS

god I hate that Goeorge Monbiot. Half informend Illington set muppet.

Noticed no mention that you need a licence - still a trap after all. Wonder if he had one.

Also no mention that trapping tends to remove the larger more aggressive males that cannibalise far more other crayfish that trapping will remove and help rpevent new crayfish moving upstream. By and large trapping by a small number of people (rather than total catch trapping) is seen as a problem as the population space left when the larger males are removed get filled with new arrivals as it where - these often bring the fungal disease with them.

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
indeed not a mention of a license, wonderful if you get shopped using that, not to mention the rusty old bike wheel covered in oil and grease your dipping into our rivers and lakes

khimbar

Nomad
Jan 5, 2005
birmingham uk
god I hate that Goeorge Monbiot. Half informend Illington set muppet.

Noticed no mention that you need a licence - still a trap after all. Wonder if he had one.

Err...

1 / 13

Step one: Get permission to go crayfishing from the Environment Agency: it's trying to ensure that no one accidentally traps the white-clawed crayfish.

I don't remember seeing that... could it be an edit?

There's a website that keeps logs of the news websites so you can see where they've changed a story, that could be useful here.

I can't see how so many would have missed that point - it could have been added in response to angry emails.

slowworm - the EA warning is showing up in Google's cache now too.
That does kinda answer it though.

There's only one solution to this now though... assuming he's got loads of people out after signals now, we're going to have to limit the damage by getting out there and trapping even more of the smaller ones to stop the problem!
Someone will have to eat them all too - it'd be criminal to see them go to waste.
It's a tough job... but somebody's got to do it. :(

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
Are they crayfish in lots of rivers or are they only in a particular region? I must look round to sfind out if they are in my local rivers on the South Coast.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE