Grilliput & Firebowl

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
Not worth the money really. I have one. But it is fiddly and heavy - although of a clever design. Expensive. I would just get a standard light oven grill or cake cooling rack for a couple of squid and just have it strapped to your rucksack or whatever.

To be honest with you. I have had one for 6 months and never used it. I think it cost me £25 but probably only worth about £15max

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I`d give them a wide berth if I was you John, they`re just gimmicks and wouldn`t stand up to much in the field. You could put something together yourself for a fraction of the price, especially the Grilliput. The firebowl wouldn`t leave a scar on the ground which is good I suppose, but I can`t see it lasting too long either.

Just my opinion

Rich

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
It is a bit heavy, so not much use for backpacking, but if you're camping in an area where you can't light a ground-fire then the firebowl is a handy thing to have. I was using mine at Middlewood, because the ground was so wet and ground-fires weren't allowed anyway. The grill is a bit fiddly but is strong enough to support and boil a full 1.5L kettle. Had mine for a bout six-months too, and use it most times I'm out and camping not far from transport makes it easier to follow the Leave No Trace philosophy.

You could probably make your own similar setup, improvising with one of those fan-out metal food steamers and a cake rack as littlebiglane suggested, but I'm a confirmed gear addict and liked the clever design.

Edit: TBH I would look toward the hobo stoves as a better solution, Woodland Edge sell one that's a good design but it a lot more expensive, and at Middlewood I saw a lot of different ideas for hobo stoves and fireboxes, most of which looked pretty easy to make yourself.

Been tinkering around with a lot of (DIY) stoves, methods of having a (cook) fire.

A real thing with wood that is.

Hobo stoves, grilli puts et al need to be raised quite high from the ground to NOT leave a scar on the ground. I do NOT have the official grilli put but a steamer thingy.

Modified it and trying to keep it stable and about 6-9 cms of the ground. Will try to report a bit more detailed with pics when I can find the time.

So far, most of the stuff out there is either pretty good and heavy with related prices and, thus for me not suited (weight and money wise)... this reasoning is very necessary to keep my kit monster on his leash... my shed, barn (whatever) is full of no longer used gear/projects as it is. :werd:

Grtz Johan

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE