Green woodworking - getting ready

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Started getting some practice in with the volunteers at work over the last few weeks, as were doing some demos to the public this year at a few fesivals. Im rearly lucky to be involved with this as after camping out im much happyer making traditional items.

Pole/Bungi lathe set up. We normally use a shock off pole at the main wood fest, but we've made this up for the more compact option.

100_2871.jpg

Shave horse

100_2872.jpg

Chopping block made last week

100_2873.jpg

Hairy Beast

100_2874.jpg

My new knife helped to rough out this kuksa

100_2876.jpg

Off to drop some Birch as part of a thinning job in a wood on Fri for a bit of carving and practice turning wood, so we can save the Ash and Sycamore gathered for the finer projects at the next do this weekend.

Addo :)

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire

SOAR

Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
Great stuff Addo! Kuksas looking good. I'll try and get down to some of the festivals with the family.

badgeringtim

Nomad
May 26, 2008
cambridge
Ahh your up my old neck of the woods - Unfortunately im down south now, but might make it back for chatsworth in which case - if you dont mind id love to look out for you and have a chat etc.
Chatsworth is a huge fair and very interesting. How do you get a plot there - i mean is it sponsored or did you have to pay or have they a few spaces for traditional crafts? Ive always wondered.

:)

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Ahh your up my old neck of the woods - Unfortunately im down south now, but might make it back for chatsworth in which case - if you dont mind id love to look out for you and have a chat etc.
Chatsworth is a huge fair and very interesting. How do you get a plot there - i mean is it sponsored or did you have to pay or have they a few spaces for traditional crafts? Ive always wondered.

:)

Be glad to see you, and anyone else down at a do. I'll try and chat when I can.

At Chatsworth we've payed for a 20'x20' plot even though demonstrating. Not too sure about what other folks have had to do though as I didn't arrange it.
As you say though its one of the top fairs and very busy so Im glad im going. Ive designed a canvas shelter for attaching over and in front of the landrover 110 side, with the lathe ect to be set up underneath. Just hope the canvas arrives soon so we can test it out and that it work ok!

hairyhippy

Tenderfoot
Aug 11, 2009
Notts
Can people have a go on the lathe / shave horse at any of the sessions? I ask as green woodworking is something that interests me, but I don't want to build a whole load of kit without having a go first.

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
We have in the past let folks have a play on the lathe and shave horse, not sure whats happening this time. There was talk of not letting the kids use the draw knife on the shave horse this time but things seem to be changing all the time.

I'll update the thread after the food fair this weekend, and then you could probably have a go at Elvaston. Were trying to get people interested in this type of activity so be a shame if you cant.

TJRoots

Nomad
Jul 16, 2009
East sussex
i've been playing around with google maps to see if any of those event will be anywhere near me, unfortunately the closest one is chatsworth, a mere 226 miles away from me, 4 hours each way so it looks like i wont be able to go to any of those :(
oh well, when i get a car i can drive all over the country as much as i like :)

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
No prob roots, theres loads of dos like this around the country and your in a good spot down there. I think the big annual wood fair is down your way somewhere.

TJRoots

Nomad
Jul 16, 2009
East sussex
No prob roots, theres loads of dos like this around the country and your in a good spot down there. I think the big annual wood fair is down your way somewhere.

ooh which one would that be? went to the merrist wood fair the other day but that was kinda tiny.

hairyhippy

Tenderfoot
Aug 11, 2009
Notts
How did the weekend go? It was just too hot to take our little ones out for the day. That and I' seemed to be asleep for most of Sunday.

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
It was excellent thanks.

I think I did over 20 fire by friction demonstrations, with flint and steel and firesteel ones after. My right side of the body is still aching a bit.
Very hot and busy with loads of interest from many different types of people, which is the best bit, talking to enthusiastic kids, general puplic and older folks who used to do these types of activities in the scouts or forces.

The greenwood working area was next to mine, so I slopped off in-between demo's to have a play, on the lathe ect. Dave and I were making kuksas all weekend out of Birch which generated a lot of interest, and my boss developed a regular talk about the birch and its uses with props ranging from my knife, bark containers, tinders kuksas before and after, and the legs we were turning.

There was also an excellent Hurdle maker called Alistair Hayhurst, who also bought along a huge Yurt he made.

There was free food too, which is always a good thing !

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE