grantown-on-spey (near aviemore)

gazmc2

Forager
Oct 5, 2008
Grantown-on-Spey
this is my 1st post so bear with me please!!

i live in glasgow but have family up north (as above), i'm looking for advice on where to go to camp & maybe fish with my 3 year old son. i was looking on the local info sites but these only seem to list walk's etc. looking for something more isolated away from footpaths, i know i'll be limited with the wee man with me tho. also any places near glasgow would suffice.

i'm a total beginner so any good hand on bushcraft courses anyone can suggest would be great. i have looked on the net but most seem to be more survival orientated.

i want to learn so i can take the boy out of the city as much as possible & as safely as possible.

thanks in advance!!!

gazmc2

Forager
Oct 5, 2008
Grantown-on-Spey
i know boat well but not been to the loch there, somethin i will need to have a wander to next time i'm up.

thanks for the welcome john, i've been browsing the site for a wee while before i signed up, loads to take in but i'll get there.

thanks again!!

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
Fairlie moors down by Largs has a couple of nice bits to pitch up, theres also a fishery right next to it for fly and bait fishing (good for dinner) and the view across to the Cumbraes and Arran are stunning on a good day. It's far enough out of the town to be quiet, there's a little waterfall in the woods or you can opt for the moor if tenting. Fire is ok on the moors but no ground fire in the wood though. PM me if you need more info.

Dogoak

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
Lochindorb would be a great spot with places to camp and you don't need a permit to fish!
It's approx.6.5 miles NW of Grantown and it has a ruined castle in the middle!

gazmc2

Forager
Oct 5, 2008
Grantown-on-Spey
cant believe it's almost a year ago i started thinking about heading out!!!!

i've been to lochindorb a few years ago but just for swimming, wasnt even thinking about bushcrafty things, i checked google & there seems to be an area with trees so i think i'll take the hammock down there, should be quiet in october eh!!

thanks again!!

Moff8

Forager
Jul 19, 2004
Glasgow
My boss has a second home up there and spends every weekend there - so I asked him.

"Lochindorb is beautiful -- lots of good walking on the level and hills. Plenty wild life. Some good rough terrain too. Dogs are not welcome off a lead (just in case anyone has a dog). Take Midge spray !!!"

There is also a nice camping/caravan site just outside GOS itself so he says.

gazmc2

Forager
Oct 5, 2008
Grantown-on-Spey
cheers moff, think i know the caravan place, i've walked along the old railway which i'm sure passes it, lochindorb is lovely but i have never wandered about it so i'll defo do some when i'm up, cheers for the heads up wi the midges...i've heard johnssons skin so soft is a great repelant but dont know how much truth's in it!!

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Welcome to the site. Has the lad been camping before? If not, I would take him on a couple of weekend trips to proper camp sites that have toilets and showers etc and let the boy get used to camping outdoors and not sleeping in a house.

gazmc2

Forager
Oct 5, 2008
Grantown-on-Spey
cheers for the welcome rik.

no the boy's not going this time, i'm on my own & lookin forward to it, will get him into it soon enough tho i hope....well thats if he doesnt take after his mum as if he does it's going to be a lonely future in the woods for me, they'll be in a hotel & i'll be the woods(better than the dog house i suppose eh!!)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE