Gram Weenie Pro Alcohol stove vs WB Stove

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
I have a self made pop can stove which is efficient and fast but potentially flimsy and has a large flame pattern. I’ve had a White Box stove for some time now and am very pleased with it as its powerful and small/light. However, I’ve found that a lot of fuel is wasted unless a 12cm (or over) pot/pan is used as it is a side burner, meaning that the jets are to the side of the stove. I’m not a lightweight buff but like to bimble without weight.

Now, my shoulder bimbling bag contains a standard Guyot stainless (Nalgene) bottle courtesy of Lurch (thanks mate) and a MyTi (Titanium) mug (along with other stuff). With the WB stove a LOT of fuel was wasted. It would do the job but wasn’t brilliant as it was only 9.5cm diameter.

I wanted something smaller but couldn’t find a suitable ali bottle to make one myself and found the Gram Weenie Pro from End 2 End Trail Supply in the US.

https://www.end2endtrailsupply.com/Gram_Weenie_PRO_packages.html

Now the specs of this are:

• Stove Weight: 0.7oz (19 g)
• Height: 1.75 in (3.8 cm)
• Diameter: 1.75 in (4.4 cm)
• Fuel Capacity: 1 oz
• Burn Time: approximately 11 minutes/1 ounce fuel
• Primer Pan Weight: 0.1oz (2 g)
• Designed to boil up to 16 ounces of water

It came with a 5.5” x 23.5” foil windshield and a 4 oz fuel bottle. With postage it was about £13.

Contents:

SDC10717.jpg

Size comparison with WB stove and a spice jar for scale

SDC10719.jpg

A comparison test was conducted inside at 18C to see which burner would be more mug friendly. The GWP was filled with 1oz (28ml) of methanol (in my case). It will safely hold more. 500 ml of cold water is the usual mark for boil time comparisons. That’s 18 oz- just shy of a UK pint but more than a US pint.

SDC10720.jpg

When lit the GWP blooms quickly but flares much more than the WB.

SDC10722.jpg

The MyTi with lid- perfect fit for the burner pattern.

SDC10727.jpg

I had some issues with the cheapo camera and no flash so as to capture the flame. Excuse blurring and time lag! Rolling boil at 6mins 30secs. The water was too hot to drink at 4mins though.

SDC10729.jpg

Flame extinguished (ran out of fuel) at 7mins 40secs

The WB- same specs, but an ali 12cm saucepan and lid was used. Rolling boil at bang on 6mins.

SDC10734.jpg

Flames extinguished at 8mins 38secs.

SDC10739.jpg

Findings:

The GWP is definitely more user friendly with a mug. It’s not unstable but needs careful placement. Experiments with slight slopes proved there was no problem with tipping. It does seem “over” jetted however. There are a lot of jets, and I think you may be able to lose 4-6 of them without detriment to boiling times and may even prolong burning as the initial bloom is very fierce. Heating a lesser amount of water for solo use would obviously be quicker. Interestingly my pop can stove used with a windshield boils 500ml water in 4mins 30secs!
The WB is definitely the stove to go for with a 12cm pan. However, I prefer my Russian 8R clone and SVEA 123, Hiker plus etc etc to either of the alcohol stoves for normal use but this test was about what to carry in my bimbling shoulder bag and NOT in a ruck.

For these very particular needs, the GWP will be my stove of choice in the bimble bag.

Last edited:

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
Widu13;
Very nice stove. However, here is something to consider: It is possible that you are "over jetted" as you suggest, and having 4-6 fewer jets, MAY work. But, In my opinion MORE jets might work better. Here is why: The flare up you are experiencing would seem to me to be caused by having just a bit too much pressure. Fewer holes will equal more pressure and a greater flare up. More holes (or slightly larger holes) should translate to LESS pressure. (for what it is worth, my experience with larger holes has given inferior jets in most cases.)

One other thing you might try, my experience has shown that you should set the mug on the stove the second all of the jets have fired up. The cool mug / water will "wick" away a lot of heat and this may reduce the stove pressure somewhat, and conserve some of your fuel.

These are just thoughts and suggestions base on my tinkering with pop can stoves for quite some time. You may (and probably will!) get entirely different results. As they say: "your mileage may vary."

Good luck perfecting this stove -- but actually it is quite good how it is.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE