Got bored one night and made these up.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
I didn't really follow any pattern, just had a play around with some basic methods and varying materials.
The two Craneflies were a sod to do though as it involved taking individual strands of Peacock hurl and tying knots in at intervals to make the leg joints.
I did make a shrimp with some dyed pink fur, fine wire and a small piece of clear plastic carrier bag for the shell but I dropped it somewhere and can't find it.
Flies.jpg

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Nice Work. Ive just stocked up on the size 18-20 black gnats, as I seem to be having some success with them at the moment.

Difficult conditions at the moment. I saw a report saying its been the driest summer in 80 years, in Yorkshire.
They have just closed a section of the Leeds/Liverpool canal.
And a member of over 30 years, was telling me the rivers in the dales are the lowest he's seen them in two decades.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
I did make a shrimp with some dyed pink fur, fine wire and a small piece of clear plastic carrier bag for the shell but I dropped it somewhere and can't find it.

No doubt it'll end up in your foot at some point. :0)
A bit of old surgical glove are supposed to be good for the shell.

Last edited:

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
its very therapeutic fly tying i tend to do it in the winter months to stock up my boxes for the spring...
i had a dabble on my local stillwater at the weekend was hard going just two takes but no hookups fish where not feeding hard on anything particular and well there was a massive abundance of real food in the water which makes it tricky still thats why its called fishing and not catching :D

Nice work! I used to tie flies and fish but havent cast a rod for a few years now! I did enjoy it but stopped as my freezer was filling up with trout as I was the only person that ever ate the things and I caught too many for me to eat. I decided it wasnt right to kill the fish if I wasnt going to eat them and I dont kill for sport or believe in catch and return.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
thats why its called fishing and not catching :D

Brilliant quote.

Nice work! I used to tie flies and fish but havent cast a rod for a few years now! I did enjoy it but stopped as my freezer was filling up with trout as I was the only person that ever ate the things and I caught too many for me to eat. I decided it wasnt right to kill the fish if I wasnt going to eat them and I dont kill for sport or believe in catch and return.

If ever need any help emptying your freezer.................... :)

pango

Nomad
Feb 10, 2009
Fife
Bushwhacker, I opened the thread expecting to see something you'd invented out of boredom... but you've been at it for years, haven't you?
Neat work, mate!

Have you ever caught a fish on the daddy-longlegs, Bushwhacker?

I had a day on a remote highland river last Autumn. These rivers can be dour, so my usual tactic is to fish nymphs in deeper bends or pools. After 3 or 4 hours there was nothing doing but I did see a turn or two at the tail of a pool up ahead so, too shallow to fish a nymph properly, I stopped and made a brew and sat slightly downstream watching for 20 minutes. Two fish of decent size were rising occasionally in the V.

Trying to see what was of interest to them, I realised the only flies on the water were the odd cranefly. I looked in my box and found one, a virgin of untold age, unused and unloved in the corner. Tying on the daddy-longlegs, I took one cast, my line stopped dead in the water, straightened, and my rod bent into a sea trout of about 3 pounds. All hell broke loose with the wakes of fish charging all over the pool and 15 minutes later I was assassinating my quarry beside an apparently lifeless pool.

I never saw another movement all day and an hour later sitting high up on a rocky outcrop overlooking the peat stained water of the next pool upstream, you'd have thought the river devoid of fish.

The strange thing is, that if I hadn't carried that daddy-longlegs around as dead weight, I'd never have known I was on a river stuffed with sea trout. When I got home I made 2 male and 2 female sizes for my box, but I no longer just carry them 'cos they're there.

Cheers mate and again, nice work!

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Have you ever caught a fish on the daddy-longlegs, Bushwhacker?

I've had my fair share on the daddies, I found they work best when it's nearing the end of the day and it's getting a bit dumpsy, I think the relatively large size creates a nice silhouette on the surface for the trout to home in on and the legs, wings and hackle give it some 'energy'.
Nothing better than seeing a trout hitting a fly on the surface and watching the leader race off.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE