Got a dehydrator and a vacuum packer

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
First thing of course was to try out the vacuum packer with some chocolate cake. The trick was to stop it before the cake compressed into wafer form.

So what next? My current plan is to make up some chilli beef jerky to bring to the moot, the next plan being to make some ration packs to take hiking with me.

Anyone got any easy/simple recipes they can share?

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Check out thehungryhammockhanger series by mrbabelfish5 on youtube. Some great tips and recipes there :)

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
I've got an andrew james vacuum sealer! ) Same as leedsbrew

Been thinking of going all grain...

leedsbrew

Forager
May 15, 2013
Leeds
nice one! You won't look back once you go all grain mate! Do you go on any of the homebrew forums? JBK etc?

I've got a bit of a HB blog going at www.leedsbrew.wordpress.com not a frequent as I'd like but work has a funny nack of getting in the way lol

do you brew kits or extract?

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
Kits at the moment. Have been experimenting with hopping my own and everyone compliments it. Thinking of building a digital microbrewery out of arduinos similar to this: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/

But first I really must build a spargler out of a cool box...

Hammock Hamster

Feb 17, 2012
Kent
First thing of course was to try out the vacuum packer with some chocolate cake. The trick was to stop it before the cake compressed into wafer form.

So what next? My current plan is to make up some chilli beef jerky to bring to the moot, the next plan being to make some ration packs to take hiking with me.

Anyone got any easy/simple recipes they can share?

Dehydrated fruit, apple and mango are my favourites just be careful no sharp bits puncture the vacuum bags.

Jerky is good and if you add some dehydrated veg and dry pasta you have your own sealed dehydrated meals for the trail.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I don't bother drying fruit, is so readily available ready dried but I do (or did, not bothered for a while) dry a lot of veg and mushrooms. The last time I used the vac packer was to make up bags of rice from a couple of 10Kg sacks I'd got, very handy little things they are.

Bags of Freshness sent me the wrong rolls and just ignored my emails, I'll not use them again, £30 down the pan.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE