Good min/max thermometer

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Hi, maybe some of you good folk will be able to help...

I'm after a good rebust, small, non digital min/max thermometer that will be good for down to as low as -40 give or take... any advice?

Thanks,

Joe

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
This is for a few trips... i'm off to Russia in just under 2 weeks and Finland in February. I saw the amazon one previously but I am looking for something a little more rugged in appearance. :D

Mr_Rimps

Forager
Aug 13, 2006
Hampshire
Squibbers get yourself a cricket.

"Cricket Thermometer: The cricket as an animated thermometer may sound far-fetched, yet the warmer the weather, the faster is the tempo of his song."

So if the poor blighter is really stiff, its gonna be cold... :D
Plus you get a crunchy snack

Sorry mate...couldn't resist.
Andy

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
Don't think you are supposed to take a mercury thermometer on aircraft, if it does break the mercury reacts with aluminium and causes corosion which is difficult to spot until it makes a hole! :eek: This is basically what was explained to me when I had a thermometer removed from my first aid kit on a military flight. The loady let it go on board carried by the crew wrapped up in so much paper and plastic it was about the size of a pillow! The reason he gave it to the crew was if it did leak they would ground the aircraft, where as I may hide the fact and try and shuffle away inconspicously! :sulkoff:

Mr_Rimps

Forager
Aug 13, 2006
Hampshire
guess I deserved the nutkick :rolleyes:

seriously this time...

I agree with Goose. Best check the airline before taking a thermometer onboard. Did some searching on the net and there are alot of references on various airline sites regarding mercury thermometers. Must admit it never occurred to be before.

I think digital one is the way to go unfortunately. (Most of them come with clocks too. ;) )

Hope you find what you're looking for.
Andy

G

Glade

The second thermometer linked to by raskusdrotti is neither digital nor mercury. It makes use of a coiled length of spring steel, very similar to an old-fashioned watchspring or clockspring. The inner (central) end of the spiral spring is fixed to the baseplate whilst the outer end is attached to the pointer and is free to rotate. When the spring gets warmer it will expand and try to straighten and uncoil, thus moving the pointer in one direction, and conversely when it cools it will shrink and try to close in on itself, thereby moving the pointer in the opposite direction.

The drawback in the design is that it isn't terribly robust, so if it's dropped then the whole assembly is liable to rotate slightly, giving several degrees of error. I keep one in my fridge and I've dropped it many times but it's simple enough to recalibrate, using a digital thermometer as a reference - recalibration being simply a matter of rotating the 'fixed' centre mounting point - this mounting point being fixed fairly tightly but not absolutely, because it does need some freedom to move for the purpose of initial calibration and subsequent adjustment.

Without some modification, a thermometer of that design probably just isn't robust enough for your purposes.

Mr_Rimps

Forager
Aug 13, 2006
Hampshire
things have been pretty slow at work tonight so the challenge to find a thermometer kept me awake if nothing else.

Nothing doing on ebay at the moment. Most professionals use digital. Mercury freezes before -40 (already been stated by raskusdrotti). Lots of cheap non robust max-mins available all over.

This site seemed to offer some tougher looking ones. Might be worth checking out.

http://www.ukweathershop.co.uk/acatalog/basic_sub.html

They have a "Maximum and minimum thermometer in a smart and robust stainless steel case." Looks just the job but as luck would have it its out of stock at the moment.

Good luck. And have a great time in Russia and Finland.
When you come back post a picture of the thermometer in action!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE