Golite Hex 3

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
Hi Beacklover

I got a Tipi made recently. I is about 3.5 m in diameter and cost me about the same as the Golite but I got a groundsheet as well. I got it from Julian at Kathmandu Trekking. Here are some pictures.

tipi1.jpg

tipi2.jpg

tipi3.jpg

I am very pleased with it and the quality is good. I suspect that purchase of a Tentipi canvas Tipi may make this one redundant so if you are interested it may be worth dropping me a PM ;)

JimH

Nomad
Dec 21, 2004
Stalybridge
MagiKelly said:
It is a small island on Loch Lomond... Great place but you really need a canoe to get there which is fine cause I have a canoe and it keeps the riff raff away :)

Bets?

My canoe is on order. Not for delivery 'til October, though, so you've a riffraff free couple of months yet.

Tentwise, I got a hex 3 s/h from Mmcniven on here, complete with inner "nest" and I'd say they are a pretty good design, light and compact but plenty roomy. Not sure as to the weather resistance yet as we were at a tree-sheltered site.

Not sure I'd pay full retail for the "nest" bit, either, as a few yards of mosi netting and an hour with a sewing machine would be considerably cheaper...if fugly.

Jim.

redcollective

Settler
Dec 31, 2004
West Yorkshire
Sorry to diverge from the tipi thing: this canoeing caper has really piqued my interest - what kind do you need for solo/two person canoeing? How easy are they to padde and stay afloat?, are they stable? sorry if this all sounds a bit basic but I've no experience on water in anything other than an aluminium boat.

Stu

jamesoconnor

Nomad
Jul 19, 2005
Hamilton, lanarkshire
i thought all the islands on loch lomond were owned privately? did you have any bother from the owner of the island or is it ok to camp there? im in glasgow so i'd love to camp there!

regards
james

MagiKelly

jamesoconnor said:
i thought all the islands on loch lomond were owned privately? did you have any bother from the owner of the island or is it ok to camp there? im in glasgow so i'd love to camp there!

regards
james

Have a look into the land access laws of Scotland. This has ben discussed a lot on here. Basically you have the legal right to wild camp anywhere in Scotland. The exception are in peoples gardens and a few other things that will not effect Bushcrafters. You are allowed fires too. So no I have not had any problems with the owners. The island above is actually a nature reserve. If you are sensable you wil have no trouble. Also as you are in a canoe you can land in places where other boats cannot go.

Redcollective. Canoes are fantastic. Best bet is to get some lessons. A 15.5 foot canoe will take up to three adults or two with enough kit for an extended trip or one person and enough kit to live on. The type of canoe will effect stability etc. You can get a stable one that does not manouver as well and the other way round. Buy Song of the Paddle and you will never look back.

jamesoconnor

Nomad
Jul 19, 2005
Hamilton, lanarkshire
MagiKelly said:
Have a look into the land access laws of Scotland. This has ben discussed a lot on here. Basically you have the legal right to wild camp anywhere in Scotland. The exception are in peoples gardens and a few other things that will not effect Bushcrafters. You are allowed fires too. So no I have not had any problems with the owners. The island above is actually a nature reserve. If you are sensable you wil have no trouble. Also as you are in a canoe you can land in places where other boats cannot go..[/QUOTE

excellent!!! i never really knew that we were allowed to responsibly camp anywhere in the wild, even lighting fires. i do alot of wildlife and landscape photography, so to camp anywhere is great news for me as i can get to areas that will get me cracking sunrises etc.
another thing if i may ask, what island on loch lomond was it?

regards
james

redcollective

Settler
Dec 31, 2004
West Yorkshire
MagiKelly said:
Canoes are fantastic. Best bet is to get some lessons. A 15.5 foot canoe will take up to three adults or two with enough kit for an extended trip or one person and enough kit to live on. The type of canoe will effect stability etc. You can get a stable one that does not manouver as well and the other way round. Buy Song of the Paddle and you will never look back.

Cheers John,

I've got the book on order now. I'll start a thread in Transport and see if anyone knows about lessons.

Stu

MagiKelly

jamesoconnor said:
excellent!!! i never really knew that we were allowed to responsibly camp anywhere in the wild, even lighting fires. i do alot of wildlife and landscape photography, so to camp anywhere is great news for me as i can get to areas that will get me cracking sunrises etc.
another thing if i may ask, what island on loch lomond was it?

regards
james
PM sent to try and keep us from drifting any further from topic :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE