going without a stove?

jonnie drake

Settler
Nov 20, 2009
west yorkshire
So I have been recently thinking about how to reduce my packweight. I have a light alcohol burner set-up with a small ti mug, and I use dehydrated food such as pasta mugshots and the like. My problem is that even with these being light they dont provide many calories or protein, and they use up water and fuel. Im reckoning I could be better off just packing foods that dont require cooking and provide more nutrition such as fruit and nut bars.

I was wondering what peoples thoughts were on this and if anyone has tried a good stint without hot food while camping?

cheers

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
read the book of the bivy he never took a stove custard creams and pork pies...
to be honest a hot meal is a great moral booster and comfort prior to bed if your just bagging peaks i can understand it but if your camping id stick to hot grub
to me the food is the best part of it

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Until recently I always went without a stove, even in winter, and never had a problem, except that the food you need to take tends to be bulky. Give it a try is my advice.

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
I went on a hike recently with a really nice bloke who just took 1 box of porrage oats... Food would be oats and cold water morning, noon and night.

While I appreciated the ultra light though, That would drive me bonkers on day one. A hot and wholesome meal (even noodles) just cheers you up after a long day!

A cured sausage, packet of primula and some crackers go's a very long way, carbs, protein, salt, fat.

al.

Last edited:

jonnie drake

Settler
Nov 20, 2009
west yorkshire
cheers for the replies :) I have just been on amazon and ordered the book of the bivi.

Cured meats sound like a goer, I was thinking maybe jerked meats too, although they seem pretty expensive!! does anyone know where to get them cheaper?

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
There's a biltong thread on here somewhere... Make your own :)

A decent cut of meat, salt, spice mix (if you wish) and some TLC would save you a fortune.

Just a though, al.

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Well... If you need a professional taster, Just to confirm :)

There's also tons on a well known auction site, that works out much cheaper than packet bought stuff- but why not give making some a bash!

atb, al.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Have you thought about dehydrating some of your own meals Jonnie? They can be done in a low oven or better still in a proper dehydrator, they don't have to be anything fancy and you soon get your money back compared to buying meals for £5-7 a time. Making your own lets you carry stuff you actually plus you know exactly what's in there and what nutrition you're going to get from it.

Westfalia do a good intro model for around £35, pair that up with one of those timer plug sockets and you're good to go.

Have you thought about a wood burner to use as a primary stove but carry the meths for times when you can't have a fire ?

jonnie drake

Settler
Nov 20, 2009
west yorkshire
cheers guys :) im not saying im going to get rid of all my stoves! just for those times when weight really matters. Plus Im sure we all enjoy peanuts and beef jerky :D

I hadnt thought about it before tbh I always thought a dehydrator would cost a bomb? but £35 aint bad at all! I would be using the stove in places where wood is pretty scarce unfortunately :(

walker

Oct 27, 2006
devon
take some sausage and fresh tomatos all chopped up and fryed or add rice as well then take kendle mint cake and fruit and nuts

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Can you use a dehydrator for anything (eg spag bols, chilli etc)?

Yep, just drain as much of the fat off the meat as you can before adding the rest of the ingredients, rinsing it under a tap in a sieve works well.

The only thing which is a no no is anything dairy, it just goes off too quick. Something like a chilli or spag bol will happily store for around 3 months in just a zip lock bag, if you freeze it then it will last forever (well not quite but you know what I mean)

A spag bol recipe here ...
[video=youtube;wN-bLfWF3C8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wN-bLfWF3C8&feature=player_embedded[/video]

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE