GO outdoors - anyone use them?

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
Hi,

I ordered a new Garmin Etrex 20 from GOoutdoors on the 17th November, and despite being despatched on the 18th it still hasn't arrived. I've been passed from GO to Yodel and back again for more than a week now and am thinking about cancelling the order. They keep saying they'll look into it and ring me back but don't, I then chase them the next day and so it continues.

I think the problem is with Yodel (was DHL) who have lost the parcel. GO have good prices and I've bought their £5 membership card so I don't really want to cancel but will have to order from somewhere else soon as I need it for work.

Should I give them a second chance?

Dogoak

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
Never used them but I might be going to have a look in one of their outlets today, so no experience.

I'd give them a call and ask, firmly, that another one be sent out. It is up to them to take issue with the courier, you purchased it from them and they have not supplied it, they either owe you another unit or a refund. You are covered under the Distance Selling Regulations.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Same as Steve I tend to buy in store at their Leeds branch.

I'd be tempted to ring them back on Monday and explain that you want another one sending out or you'll be cancelling your order.

HDNL (Yodel) are a complete joke

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
Thanks for the info, I went to their Wigan store and looked at the Etrex 30 (too many gizmo's) but the 20 wasn't in stock then so ordered it online, was quite impressed with the offers and range of gear. yodel say they did try to deliver but to the wrong place (next door!).

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
I find a lot of the "special" prices offered in Go Outdoors are actually the same or higher than in many other outdoor shops, and you need to buy the loyalty card to get best benefit anyway. Not on my list of preffered suppliers I have to say.

Dave

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Use there price match - 10% get some good deals that way.

The Mighty Oak Is Merely A Nut Who Stood His Ground

BillyBlade

Settler
Jul 27, 2011
Lanarkshire
I find a lot of the "special" prices offered in Go Outdoors are actually the same or higher than in many other outdoor shops, and you need to buy the loyalty card to get best benefit anyway. Not on my list of preffered suppliers I have to say.

Dave

Agreed. They're nowhere near as cheap as they make out to be, the whole card thing is frankly a bit of a faff, and the kit my local one has in stock seems to be aimed at the fine weather day walker brigade at best, the Weatherspoons massive at worst. It's all brands I wouldn't take up the hills or on a trek, thats for sure.

Also, the 'serious' kit they stock, they only seem to carry four or five of them in stock, and in daft sizing. I'm thinking of the McMurdo parka I tried to buy last year that they only had in dwarf size. Even then, only 3 of them.

To me, it's like Woolworths for the fair weather camper.

yomperalex

Nomad
Jan 22, 2011
Reading
I'm a happy customer, but only ever buy in store.

How did you pay (card, paypal?),

Get them involved - also read the small print to see how quick they promise for delivery.

Alex

Gotte

Nomad
Oct 9, 2010
Here and there
I find Decathlon cheaper, and I find their products on the whole better. Decathlon may be a big chain, and a lot of the stuff is not top end gear, but they do seem to put a lot of thought into their products. Go outdoors I tend to find a bit ho hum. Often it has the feel of those catalogues you get with the sunday suppliments (they sell a lot of Regatta stuff, which probably accounts for that).
As mentioned above, the prices, though they may be 10% off, that's always 10% off RRP, and most things don't sell fort RRP any more. Anything I've been interested in buying has always come up cheaper on the internet. Also, I've found that a lot of the stock is a couple of years' old (end of line, maybe?).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE