Giant Sequoia fallen.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Yeah I was sad to see that also. That said, IIRC the reproduction process includes new shoots sprouting from the roots of fallen trees?

It's to think that because of our relatively short life spans and this species' long life cycle, we only ever get a small glimpse at the whole picture.

Last edited:

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Great shame, I visited there a few years ago. Mind you, carving a big hole in it can't have done much for its stability.

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
What was that? 137 years since they cut the hole? Northern California is experiencing some serious storms with big wind this week.
What with the ground softened and flooded by torrential rains and snow melt, I expect to read more.

The fallen trees & logs often become what are called "nurse logs" as they will hold more water in the creases in the bark than
you will encounter on the forest floor = tree seeds germinating more successfully.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Yes, for a hollow tree its had a good innings.

The Sequoia chapter in Steinbacks `Travels with Charlie` is good.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
It can now stand as testament to when people take nature and make frivolous entertainment with it, always gonna happen.

Pioneer Cabin Tree, Iconic Giant Sequoia With ‘Tunnel,’ Falls In Storm
The tree was “barely alive” due to the hole punched through it in the 1880s.

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Sequoia are a lot like the interior western red cedar where I live.
99% of them are hollow to begin with. You can live in a hollow stump that's 16' across but just 6" sound wood for a shell.
The rot can start in a 20 yr old stem and go on for a thousand years.
Here in BC, mind you, the reverse is true for coastal cedar = most are sound and solid, regardless of age.

Cutting the hole did little to alter the water/nutrient budget of that tree.
The "barely alive" statement is editorial judgement. Those trees always have broken gnarly tops.
So do our cedars. No big deal.
The far greater problem in the forest management of the Giant Sequoia in California is fire supression.
The under story is so dense with crappy brush that new Sequoia seedlings fail for lack of light.
There aren't any new ones (and that really surprised me to learn.)

By contrast, the fire cycle in BC is 70-100 years.
Everything burnt to a crisp and start off again with the serontinous pines.
Of course, there are several seral stages of succession to get the pines out of the regen veg (willow, then alder, etc).
Long enough and spruce is the climax just as Interior western red cedar and hemlock are the climax veg at my place.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Same as with `stags head` oaks.

Just because a tree has dead bits dosnt mean to say its sickly, or even dying.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
Same as with `stags head` oaks.

Just because a tree has dead bits dosnt mean to say its sickly, or even dying.

Well i saw about oaks on the tee vee, only 15 percent of a mature tree is living wood so they have taken away HALF of the living wood at the base, plus cut a hole in it. Most of a mature tree is dead wood. The reason trees have a limit to there height is the capiliary action, the giant sequioas is esimated to be about 105m, 20 less than the pasific sequioa at 125. The ucalyptus is suposed to be able to reach the highest at about 140 if i recall correctly. If you damage the water capiliary action by 50 percent what do you expect ?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE