Getting trangias to blossom quicker.

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
Hi, I have a swedish army trangia and a civvy model but my army trangia takes ages to blossom.

How can I reduce the time it takes for the flame to come up to the full blossom? Would insulating it from the ground help? If so what could I use?

Thanks for the help :)

Asa.

nolightweight

Native
Jun 16, 2009
East Midlands
How much meths are you putting in?

I've got the military one and can't fault it.

If you fill it to just above the small 'gates' at the bottom of the burner it primes quicker.
That's about 12-15mm as a straight pour and allowed to settle before lighting.

Insulating it from the ground will help also.

HTH

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
I usually put a lot more meths in than that, maybe I shouldn't be! I usually put two thirds of the way up the inside part, I thought that was where you were supposed to!

I think I'll try putting less in next time lol :eek:

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
i'm still playing with the burn times on mine but yeah, not noticed any major faults seems to start propper burn pretty quick. laughed my head off when i tried re-filling a hot one whilst away. damn near lost my eyebrows.
huzzah for safety bottles eh? :D

lamper

Jun 4, 2009
Brighton UK
www.peligra.com
Stand it on a bit of kitchen foil to help from loosing heat to the ground. In really cold weather or just to speed it up a bit, put a bit of meths on the foil (so the burner sits in it) and light that was well.

What you are look to do it make the actual brass hot, so the meth evaporates and then it will blossom.

lamper

Jun 4, 2009
Brighton UK
www.peligra.com
i'm still playing with the burn times on mine but yeah, not noticed any major faults seems to start propper burn pretty quick. laughed my head off when i tried re-filling a hot one whilst away. damn near lost my eyebrows.

You tit! :)

Well, as they say, you do it once, never again!

jimford

Settler
Mar 19, 2009
Hertfordshire
Chuck the Trangia burner away and fit a gas or petrol conversion.

Meths is the urine of the Devil and only fit for priming petrol or paraffin stoves!

Jim

Andy2112

On a new journey
Jan 4, 2007
West Midlands
The way i do it is fill it, let it soak in fill it again till you can't fill no more then pour carefully a little meths in the groove half way down. It all depends on the weather really as to when the fuel vapourises. Insulating from the ground will help and don't have it full on in the wind as you would the civvi models. :D

Andy2112

On a new journey
Jan 4, 2007
West Midlands
:D

Meths is the urine of the Devil and only fit for priming petrol or paraffin stoves!

Jim

You got issues bud, lol :lmao: :D

I have modded my civvi model with a alpine burner. Sounds like a fight plane when going full blast. :D

Dec 16, 2007
Bin the old army one it is heavy and old replace with a new civvie one then you will have no worries. Thats the burner not the whole kit.

Works for me.

lamper

Jun 4, 2009
Brighton UK
www.peligra.com
Just one sheet of kitchen foil or foil scrunched up?
just take a sheet and fold it into a square to make it a little thicker (so it doesn't rip etc - or use industrial foil).

I agree with the other guys that the civvie version is better - comes with a simmer ring/snuffer. Trouble is it wont fit the army version as the burner has a smaller diameter.

Millets/Blacks stock the civvie Trangia Solo - http://www.backpacking-lite.co.uk/reviews/mini-trangia-review.htm - (sorry its not on their site, but i know they have it in store for about £20. Come with a pot and the pot gripper (£7 on its own!) - Great bit of kit.

T

Trappertje

Bin the old army one it is heavy and old replace with a new civvie one then you will have no worries. Thats the burner not the whole kit.

Works for me.

Works for me as well, civ burners are a lot lighter (smaller). If you buy two, you don't have to refill the hot one that was empty just before your food was ready. You fill the other one, and use that to finish cooking dinner.
Also saves you eyebrows ;)

Gaoler

Tenderfoot
Jun 22, 2009
Notts
Hi all.
To insulate my burner when using it on its own I have wrapped a cork coaster mat in three layers of foil. Works briliantly on cold surfaces when being used on its own with a tuna can pot support.
I am getting the feeling that i'm not alone in having a funny trangia story :lmao:

Twodogs

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 16, 2008
West Midland
www.facebook.com
The meths bottle that comes with the army trangia is also for preheating the burner in cold weather , pore a small amount outside the burner if you look theres a small grove all the way around to hold the meths that gets it up to heat ,
Remember its a far bigger burner than the normal trangia burner
Twodogs

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.

Jim

Here Here!!! :35:

Get outtah mah thread! :AR15firin :tapedshut

Anyway... I had a look around last night for something so use as an insulator and I managed to find some thin peices of MDF. Seeing as they were thin I cut out three circles to go underneath my trangia. I then proceeded to wrap said mdf in three layers of foil. It was a cold night so I thought it would be perfect to try out my insulator/reflector. I decided to add the usual ammount of fuel (maybe a bit less) so I could see a comparison of how well the board was working. Lit up and waited a little while, it nearly got to full blossom fairly quickly but the ring kept going on and off and on and off but it was practically there so I put the billy can on with enough water for a cuppa but waited. Then waited a bit more, and a little bit more. wasn't boiling anywhere near as fast as usual, wasn't even any bubbles. I had a look underneath and realised that the height of the three peices of mdf were almost choking the flame (musta been about an inch in between the burner and pot) so I took the burner off the board and the water boiled in no time. While that was going on I took two of the peices of mdf out of the foil so I now have a single peice wrapped in foil.

Overall, good experiment, took less time to blossom but it was too big to cook with but now I've fixed that I think it will have a permanent place in my SAT :D

Thanks for all the help :You_Rock_

Nohoval_Turrets

Sep 28, 2004
Ireland
I use the mini Trangia:
4726.minitrangia.jpg]

And I've also used the Swedish military one.

I always found that the military one took longer to blossom (nice choice of word btw), even when the whole setup was sitting in my living room fireplace on a cork mat for insulation. It made sense to me because there's a whole lot more metal and meths there to heat up, even though the flame isn't that much bigger. It also took way more fuel to boil the same amount of water, and twice the time. So I abandoned the military stove.

Using the mini Trangia, I've found that an insulating mat helps a bit, especially in cold weather. I use two small rollup bamboo mats that I got in an asian food market, arranged at right angles. This gives me a nice flat surface, and allows me to move the whole shebang during cooking if need be. Also, the grass under the stove doesn't get scorched, so I'm not leaving little circles of dead vegetation behind me.

lamper

Jun 4, 2009
Brighton UK
www.peligra.com
Get outtah mah thread! :AR15firin :tapedshut

Anyway... I had a look around last night for something so use as an insulator and I managed to find some thin peices of MDF. Seeing as they were thin I cut out three circles to go underneath my trangia. I then proceeded to wrap said mdf in three layers of foil. It was a cold night so I thought it would be perfect to try out my insulator/reflector. I decided to add the usual ammount of fuel (maybe a bit less) so I could see a comparison of how well the board was working. Lit up and waited a little while, it nearly got to full blossom fairly quickly but the ring kept going on and off and on and off but it was practically there so I put the billy can on with enough water for a cuppa but waited. Then waited a bit more, and a little bit more. wasn't boiling anywhere near as fast as usual, wasn't even any bubbles. I had a look underneath and realised that the height of the three peices of mdf were almost choking the flame (musta been about an inch in between the burner and pot) so I took the burner off the board and the water boiled in no time. While that was going on I took two of the peices of mdf out of the foil so I now have a single peice wrapped in foil.

Overall, good experiment, took less time to blossom but it was too big to cook with but now I've fixed that I think it will have a permanent place in my SAT :D

Thanks for all the help :You_Rock_
You're very welcome.

Another thing to remember, if you are out walking or camping in the cold the temperature of the meths can make a BIG difference. If you are walking keep a small fuel bottle on your person (like in your pocket) to keep it warm, this will pay BIG dividends later on. If you are camping just put it in your tent and it should be okay.

MikeE

Sep 12, 2005
Essex

Yeh, can be funny but not when a numpty tries to refill a lit No1 Pressurised Petrol Burner. Thankfully I was some distance away or my eardrums would have burst from the RSMs shout as he gently reminded the "qualified" cook about "Appointment with fire" The fire safety film we had all watched the previous week! Anyone else senior enough to remember that dreadful film?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE