Getting Ready For Hurricane Irma

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
She keeps changing her path but the current NOAA projection is for her to head straight up the peninsula. Even if she doesn't drift farther west again (and that's still possible) we'll get at least tropical storm winds here along with thunderstorms and tornadic activity. We've already opened 4 shelters in the county for evacuees from south Florida.

Prepped as well as possible: canned goods, dog food, vehicles fueled, meds stocked, etc. I'll top the vehicles off again tomorrow and fill the ice chests before Sunday. I'll also tie down the last loose bits outside.

Hopefully she'll keep her current track and the main storm will miss us to the east.

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
She keeps changing her path but the current NOAA projection is for her to head straight up the peninsula. Even if she doesn't drift farther west again (and that's still possible) we'll get at least tropical storm winds here along with thunderstorms and tornadic activity. We've already opened 4 shelters in the county for evacuees from south Florida.

Prepped as well as possible: canned goods, dog food, vehicles fueled, meds stocked, etc. I'll top the vehicles off again tomorrow and fill the ice chests before Sunday. I'll also tie down the last loose bits outside.

Hopefully she'll keep her current track and the main storm will miss us to the east.

I think this is the difference between the kind of prepping as a fantasy we see too much of on youtube and prepping for reality. I have friends in Florida, they've seen it before but this one could be even bigger. Stay safe.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Thanks everybody. We plan to stay in place (in my house) for this one. She's shifted further west (closer to us) but the main storm still should be well away from us unless she shifts course again. It also looks like if she keeps her current track our bad weather will be limited to the winds only. In any case, we won't feel the affects up here until tomorrow night or Monday morning.

bearbait

Hope things go well for you. The devastation in the Carib. islands looks awful. And Jose following along soon after looks like it's getting up towards Irma's intensity, although looks like it'll miss you at present.

I have an old friend and sailing buddy on Providenciales in the Turks and Caicos. They were directly in the path of Irma and hit by the NE quadrant I think. She had access to her brother-in-law's hurricane shelter, but only room for one of her dogs. The other three had to be left to their own devices. (How do you choose?) Not heard from her yet.

Once again, hope you remain safe...

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
You will be fine! We have had loads of strong wind here, but very little rain. Wind gusts of storm strength. Waves do a bot of damage to our beaches, remove sand from some areas and deposit it on other.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Yeah, we missed most of it up here. Just rain and high winds (still getting the remnants of that) As Bearbait said, the Turks & Caicos got a beating. As did Key West and southern/central Florida and Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands (I've only seen news reports from the US Virgin Islands but I expect the British Virgin Islands were similarly affected)

Since we were on the backside of the storm we had "reverse" storm surge; the winds blew the water out of the bays. A few local manatees were stranded and had to be rescued because of that.

Glad to hear y'all made it through Ok Janne.

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Freeport, Grand Bahama got sideswiped.
A few roofs got trashed and some broken windows but little landscape damage.
Family place there is OK.

Hurricaines suck up a mountain of water to dump onto people as storm surge.
Saw a lot of those dry bays. Amazing.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
The little islands in eastern caribbean got a trashing. Let us hope our elected leaders start thinking and send aid to them.
So much needs to be done, mainly building houses.

cayman has sent most of our Armed Response Unit police to BVI.

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Some islands are just totally, totally screwed over. No water. No food. No shelter. No power.
They have to scavenge like rats = no choice.

You may have read that AirCanada (ScareCanada) sent a big plane to pick off some 90 tourists.
Local authorities would NOT allow them to board and leave until today.
Big snotty challenge and appeal to the CDN government.

Seems the locals just wanted to make sure that nobody skipped out and that everybody paid their bills!

I can't remember which is the next hurricaine in the line-up.

We still have our own trouble here with wildfires, now down along the American border. They are just not going to quit.
Last summer's big Fort Mac fire was finally declared "out" this July!
Been so dry, these fires will burn all winter in our southern deserts.
The fires go into the ground. Really stupid to believe that it's under control =
the least little breeze and WHAM!, it's up to the tree tops again.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE