Get-A-Way Driver

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
I have really been on an urban survival kick lately. While yes I would much rather be in the woods...most of my life is spent in an urban environment. One of the things I've really been occupied with lately is studying different "light-weight" tools that would really be a help in an urban setting...but considering the current economy...ones that also won't break me to buy. In that study I've run across another handy little tool that I like a lot. It's called the "Get-A-Way Driver" and it's made by Columbia River Knife & Tool Co. . It is just 3 3/4 inches long (12cm), 1/2 inch thick (12.7 mm), and weighs just under 2 oz (54g)

IMG_5862.jpg

This is the standard version that comes with two slotted driver bits and two philips bits.

IMG_5863.jpg

The bits, like the bit adapter, are held in place by the use of ball detents. By pushing on the tip ends the flat ends come out of their holder on the other side, and they have a slot cut into them so that you can grab them using your finger nails. For you ladies who don't want to chip a nail...you can just use the bit adapter itself to push the bits out where you can grab them without damaging your nails.

IMG_5864.jpg

IMG_5873.jpg

IMG_5868.jpg

IMG_5874.jpg

The bottom of the tool has a few nice features. It has three wrenches built into it. It has a hex bit wrench, a 10mm wrench, and an oxygen bottle wrench. It also has a bottle opener attached that is held on with four torx screws, which you can remove if you like.

IMG_5871.jpg

IMG_5870.jpg

The hex bit wrench on the bottom is also so that you can make the tool a 90 degree wrench. By inserting the bit adapter there you can get more leverage for breaking loose screws or tightening them down good.

IMG_5872.jpg

IMG_5875.jpg

That button on the handle that you probably noticed is the power button for an LED light. It is a spring loaded single phase switch. This has an up side and a down side. The down side is that you have to hold the button to have light. On the plus side you can't accidentally leave it on and drain the batteries. The cover is held on with two philips screws so you can use the on-board bit and adapter to remove them.

IMG_5869.jpg

It comes with a carabiner so that you can attach it to a belt loop, or the outside of a pack if you like. My GPS requires a screw driver to change batteries so it will come in handy in the woods too.

IMG_5876.jpg

But because it does have removable parts I suggest you attach it inside your pack if you are going to be in rough terrain.

IMG_5877.jpg

I tested it out tonight changing out a tail light bulb on my truck. The 90 degree angle worked well for breaking the screws loose.

IMG_5909.jpg

and then it was pretty comfortable in the standard position, backed the screws right out.

IMG_5910.jpg

IMG_5911.jpg

and when I dropped one of them the light really came in handy and I instantly found it. Sorry for the poor quality of this picture but I had to slow the shutter speed down so much to catch it in the darkness that even my heart beat was enough to throw the shot off.

IMG_5912.jpg

All in all, I think it is a great little tool and it costs less than $20.00, I see them on amazon for less than $11.00 and there is also a torx version for you GM drivers.

Nat

Sep 4, 2007
York, North Yorkshire
Great review Brian and looks a handy tool to have.
Although :mad: at first i thought your truck had been hit by a get away driver and you had a vid of the muppet :lmao:

Not badly priced either *must repeat, i do not need another tool, my leatherman wave is enough, i do not need another tool, my leatherman wave is enough,*

Nope, not working, having one :lmao:

tytek

Forager
Dec 25, 2009
Leeds
As long as the 'bits' aren't made out of toffee and can actually be used it looks like a very handy tool.

I've had tools in the past that were totally useless just because they were made of sub-standard materials.

That looks really handy, thanks for the review Brian

Now to track one down over here.

EDIT:

Didn't take much tracking, Hennie Haynes are doing them for £15
http://www.heinnie.com/Pocket-Tools/CRKT-I.D-Works/CRKT-Get-a-way-Driver/p-94-410-3068/

Glad you enjoyed it Rich! It's a cool little tool!

Great review Brian and looks a handy tool to have.
Although :mad: at first i thought your truck had been hit by a get away driver and you had a vid of the muppet :lmao:

Not badly priced either *must repeat, i do not need another tool, my leatherman wave is enough, i do not need another tool, my leatherman wave is enough,*

Nope, not working, having one :lmao:

I think pared with a good multi-tool it would be a great combo! Say changing out a bad light switch in the dark or something.

As long as the 'bits' aren't made out of toffee and can actually be used it looks like a very handy tool.

I've had tools in the past that were totally useless just because they were made of sub-standard materials.

I've only used it on some screws on my truck, on a door lock, on a cabinet, and my GPS, but the bits show no signs of fatigue or failure.

Just bear in mind this is more of a recreational tool and not an industrial one. If you go doing things like backing out 7 cm decking screws or things of that nature I'd say you could expect a failure somewhere.

Last edited:

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS

Whats wrong with toffee tools? Victorinox make loads of them.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE