Genuine Paracord!

Humpback

On a new journey
Dec 10, 2006
1/4 mile from Bramley End.
I need to purchase load bearing paracord for a project (I'm making a canoe portable pole support for my hammock to be used when one tree only is available). This requires 35m of paracord.

My problem is locating genuine 550 (550lb loading) from amongst the cheap non-load bearing stuff.

Does anyone know personally where this can be bought, such as an ebay retailer, where the price per metre with p&p is about 23p. Colour is not an issue.

Alan

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Google "atlanco seven strand" you should find an online shop that sells it, Midwayuk.com is one I've used in the past with great results.

markie*mark0

Settler
Sep 21, 2010
warrington
As shewie say's amsteel or dyneema is what you want.

When your finished post a few pics of your project, ive made a few different single tree hammock hanging devices but each has it's own downfalls

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Kernmantle paracord is very stretchy, its designed to be. You want something light, hardwearing and non-stretchy, like Dyneema as others have already said.

Its more money, but much more suitable for what you want to do.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
This may seem obvious to some and not so to others, but the OP didn’t say “what kind of cord should I use for this project?” or even “I’m thinking of project X, what kind of cord do you think I need?” . No he asked for advice on where to buy "Genuine Paracord" for a specific project at a specific price, so please give the guy the credit for asking the question he wants answered. After all he’s not actually explained what he intends to do with it other than use it for a "pole support" on his hammock set up, he may not need to regidity of dyneema he might need the paracord to deal with shockloading, something for which dyneema is rubbish at dealing with.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
You make a good point Tadpole, aploogies to Humpback. ;)

I didn't mean to be condescending, just trying to help out.

I seem to remember you having some Amsteel from the GB anyway, so you know about dyneema :)

(I can't see why shockloading is something to deal with with hammocks though??)

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Just on a general point .....

.....I was told years ago that it is better to say (eg) to a car mechanic:
  • the car is pulling to the right, rather than (say)
  • the wheel bearing needs changing
ie to focus on what you want to do rather than focus on what (you think) you want/need, or at least to invite alternative suggestions/solutions. I've generally found that gives a better result and when I have forgotten to do that I have often regeretted it.

So the OP may have the best of both worlds - specific responses to his/her question and some alternatives to consider

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
"As shewie say's amsteel or dyneema is what you want"
"You want something light, hardwearing and non-stretchy, like Dyneema as others have already said."
"but much more suitable for what you want to do"
These are not questions, these are intructions.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE