Gear recommendation?

Englander

Sep 30, 2006
Wigan
Im after a new Rucksack. Im not sure if this is the right place to ask, but i cant see anywhere else that would be more relevant. The reviews section seems rather limited, seeing as only 1 review is there and i was wondering if you guys could recommend a particular type of pack.

Ive been looking at the Berghaus 60 + 10 litre C7 Bioflex series, is this a good pack? any better/different recommendations?

Ill be carrying:

Tent (Vango Tempest 200)
Sleeping Mat (Thermarest Pro4)
Pillow (Thermarest large, yes i need one :p)
Sleeping bag/liner (mountain equipment dreamcatcher)
Cooker (Primus Omnifuel)
Fuel (1/2 to 1 litre bottle)
Pans/cuttlery (hi gear 3 person set (pot & lid/frying pan)/plastic cuttlery)
Food (up to a weeks worth, though more likely couple days)
Clothing (7 sets underwear/2-3 pair pants/t-shirts/couple jumpers/coat etc)
Axe (GB SFA)
Knife (F1/Mora)
Wash kit (toothbrush and what not)
Other odds and ends.

Think that would be pretty much it, you guys think 60 litre is ok size for all that? or too big/small?

If anyone is thinking or getting any of the equipment I have, I would be more than happy to give you a review of what ive found using them.

If i may ask aswell, why is the review section so limited? can we not submit gear reviews?

Thanks for any/all advice you guys can give me, and forgive any newby mistakes i have made.

Sincerely

Craig.

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Well if you do manage to get it in, I think it would be a tight squeeze, I use a 90-110 L rucksack and find I fill that no problem, but I do tend to carry unnecesarrys.
You may need to be ruthless in your packing. As for the berghaus pack, I don't know it, but berghaus are a top company, so it should be up for the job...........

Montivagus

Nomad
Sep 7, 2006
gone
At first glance it looks like you might need a bit of a bigger pack especially if that tent is two man and you're not splitting it (don't know that model) and if you really want to take all your food for a week. If not you'll have to be cool with having some of your kit hanging on the outside and leaving some underwear at home :lmao: .
I'd say 75-85L off the top of my head. But remember the smaller the pack the less you'll be tempted to carry which in the long run you'll be gratefull for. However you don't have to fill a pack so bigger is a good start.
:)

bilko

Settler
May 16, 2005
SE london
Hi Englander.
I think you'll find that ever concievable bit of bushcraft kit has been used or made by the members on this site. I havn't looked at the review section but if you find a bit of kit that you would like to know more about just use the search facility at the top of the forum page.
can't give specific advise about your pack although i was trying to fit a similar amount of kit into my new LK35 the other day. It doesn't fit ( not suprisingly ) although you would be suprised how much kit it can fit.
I opted for ditching the tent in favour of hammock, bivi and tarp.
:)

wizard

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
USA
I now have a Karrimor 60-100 and rather like it. I find it is flexible and I can pack carefully and wisely and get all I need for a week or more in the pack without any add-on side pockets. Carries real comfortably and is well constructed. Might want to give the Karrimor line a look. Cheers!

Englander

Sep 30, 2006
Wigan
hmm i didnt see the kit section... I must be blind. thanks for the move whoever did it.

I tried the search option but didnt have much luck with it, i might have another go now i know a bit more about the site.

Thanks for the advice thus far and i appreciate any further recommendations you guys/girls might have.

Craig.

TallMikeM

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 30, 2005
Hatherleigh, Devon
karrimor, berghaus, lowe alpine. All good makes of pack. The key is try them out and see how they feel, especially with some weight in them. Does it feel right? Do the straps rub or pinch? For example, no matter how well lowe packs are, they just don't feel comfortable to me, the hipbelts oinch me sides. Mrs m, however, loves her lowe pack as it fits her like a glove. I much prefer karrimor.
As good as the reviews on here and other places are, the only person who matters is you, as you're the guy carrying the thing.

Brian

Settler
Nov 6, 2003
Saltburn
Zammo,

I've got a Berghaus Vulcan, it's a big bergen but I don't always fill it but it gives me the option to carry more in the winter if I want more warm kit. I've also got a few other back packs for different things, including an ALICE large pack which is OK for warmer weather. But as with a lot of kit you really need to try before you buy after you have got everyones opinions, hope that helps mate :D

Brian

Englander

Sep 30, 2006
Wigan
rik_uk3 said:
Hi Craig, what food do you take for a weekend or longer? how do you carry your water?

PS, cracking stove you have :)

yeah the stove is amazing :) thanks!

I usually take tinned stuff, and pasta, things like that, it usually weighs a ton, but i usually buy loads more than i need. Ill be honest though, this will be the first proper back ive bought that will hold everything for a trip, ive done loads of day stuff and car camped, im now moving into the carry camp phaze, so i need a pack. I plan to take the pack traveling around the world with me aswell, well Europe and US i recon, though i think i will just hostel it around Austrailia so i wont need the camping gear.

Ill be carrying the water in platypus, a 2 litre one for day drinking, also got a NATO black Canteen for a third and a couple steel cups for the bottom on the way, as i havent done this sorta thing before i was thinking id get a Dromedary bag a 10 litre one? though i expect id hardly ever carry that much! or just use a filter to get water from water bodies/rivers when i needed more (ive got the one off ray mears).

Craig.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE