garden shrub spoon

DoctorSpoon

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 24, 2007
Peak District
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Our latest creation, made from some shrub Robin 'pruned' in our garden that has astonishingly yellow wood and keeps its colour after it has dried. Once the leaves come on the remains of it I'll post a picture to see if someone can ID it. As it was growing in an overcrowded scrubby bit the wood has lots of natural curves to take advantage of:
IMG_0268e.jpg

IMG_0270e.jpg

I'll take a better photo in natural daylight tomorrow so you can really appreciate the colour :D

Mirius

Nomad
Jun 2, 2007
North Surrey
Mahonia would be my guess, though I didn't realise you could use it for spoons! Then again Mahonia is evergreen with very spikey leaves, so doesn't really fit the description

DoctorSpoon

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 24, 2007
Peak District
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Hmmm - there is an evergreen with spiky leaves out there - it might have come from that. It was all very overgrown with long branches and no leaves low down, and the leaves start just where you want to enjoy the view from the front room. Robin was pretty brutal with the chainsaw and I just dragged out a few of the lower bits! I will investigate further in the morning. You can makes spoons out of almost anything you know :D

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
I'd say Mahonia, does it have yellow flowers in the summer? I seem to recall it smelling like peas when I worked a seasoned piece.
Very elegant spoon by the way.

DoctorSpoon

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 24, 2007
Peak District
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Yes, looks like it's mahonia. Thank you. (I was squinting at it from the front room - it was Robin who went out in the rain to take a closer look and cut a bit to check the wood's yellow!) A new photo in natural daylight with a lemon for colour comparison:
IMG_0282e.jpg

It makes good carving wood - tight grained and takes a good finish straight off the tool :cool:

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
I like the look of that, and I've always fancied making a ladle type spoon.
Is the wood safe for use with food?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE