Galloway Forrest Park

Jun 13, 2012
Lanarkshire
Hello,

New here =)

I saw a post about this park in January and am just wondering where the people ending up staying if they still use the forum??

There are 4 couple who are all hoping to go wild camping here. So 4 tents!
We have only ever used "camp sites" before so just have a few questions about this park specifically.

There are a few of us who have knee injuries (including myself) so is there somewhere that we can drive to and park next to to set up camp?
Also, there may be a dog coming along too - is this permitted if he is under control?

Ideally we want somewhere that has an open space preferably next to water. Where we will have a good view of the sky!
I understand it is ok to set up a fire when wild camping as long as you clean up after. Is this true?

I know a lot of the roads are closed in the park so not sure how difficult it will be to do this.

Any help much appreciated! :)

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
Hi Kimmy, firstly welcome to the forum!!!!! I was quite dubious when I first joined up here and not sure what to expect but these guys are brilliant!!! There is a serious amount of knowledge amongst the community and alot of thoroughly nice people.

Right, and bare with me as I am no expert on Scotland at all, in fact I have never been, but I am planning on going hopefully at the end of this month with a couple of members on here, they have promised to look after me lol.

So through my own studying of the area I am going which Im pretty sure is close to where you wanna go I will give you some info.

If you put this post code into google maps or the google earth - DG8 6SU it gives you the location of a wild campsite called Caldons campsite.
Now any research you do on that camp site will tell you that its closed, but from what I can make out by 'closed' they mean that there is no shop or facilities there, but the car park is still there and you are still allowed to camp there.

It also pretty close to loch Trool and a host of mountains etc.

Have a good look around that area and let me no how you get on.
I hope it is of some help to you.
Cheers
Steve

Karl82

Oct 15, 2010
Leicester
Hi Kim welcome to the forum here is a link to the forestry commission http://www.gallowayforestpark.com/ . i have camped their twice in hammocks mind. There are lots of forestry commission roads in the park you can drive them in a car but mind the odd pot hole. I do not have a dog so do not know. their are a few flat spots where you can park up close by just keep you eye pealed. Enjoy your trip.

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Ok doakey,

The Caldons site is officially no more but we have meets there.
it's ideal for car camping and those with limited movement.

one of our new members resides there ,met us at last meet and we press ganged him into the fold....

The gate into the site 'may' be locked but it's only yards to camp.
It's an official dark sky area too.

Dogs are fine as is a fire,preferably off ground but clean up and you're ok.
There is a fire pit stashed nearby that we use but kind off hard how to find it, sorry.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE