Galloway Forest Park Trip - March

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Hey,
So me and a couple of friends are planning a trip to the Galloway Forest Park around the end of March. The plan is to go for 4 nights and primarily stay in hammocks in a static camp. If resources are are available (and it is appropriate to do so) we will try building a natural shelter. We have a rough idea of the area we would like to stay, but google earth and OS maps only get you so far...
I have a couple of questions for anyone who has camped there:

Can anyone can recommend a spot to camp? I'd appreciate it and feel free to PM if you don't wan't your favourite spot advertised :cool:.
Looking for somewhere within a short walk of a water source, not too bothered about it being close to parking spot as we're willing to hike in.

When do the midges come out? Google says early June, our thinking was its easier to deal with cold and wet than to be eaten alive!

Where's a good spot to park?

Any top tips for camping in Galloway?

Thanks,
Kit

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
The old caldons camp site is where we have meets. we have a fire pit stashed there too.
Glentrool loch and the river are there for water, plenty walks about including the hills.
No midgies at that time of year.
Car park basically right next to you but walk in a bit and plenty places to hammock.
Only use deadfall for fires and for shelter building as it's community and forest commision ground,there are bothies around too.

But that's only one part of a big area mind.

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Thanks Barn Owl, I like the look of the photo's of Glentrool im seeing. A very pretty part of the world!

I've been to scotland a few time now, but always headed further north. Can't belive I missed a 300 sqm area of forest!

Do you see many other people out camping there, or will we be pretty much alone at that time of year?

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Thanks Barn Owl, I like the look of the photo's of Glentrool im seeing. A very pretty part of the world!

I've been to scotland a few time now, but always headed further north. Can't belive I missed a 300 sqm area of forest!

Do you see many other people out camping there, or will we be pretty much alone at that time of year?

No other campers are likely but if any, only one or two, folks use that car park area for day walking.
Further along the road is the car park most used by those going up the hills.
The Caldons area is good for access and parking, that's why we use it for when there's a few of us.

The area of Dumfries and Galloway and South Ayrshire is a hidden gem for all sorts of pursuits, the coastlines are great too.
It is a vast area to explore.

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Just booked the car to get us up there, love the point of actually getting things in motion. Can start getting excited now :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE