Fungus ID

SOAR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
While out for a bimble today I spotted something on a dead Oak branch, at first I thought King Alfred cakes, but these only grow on Ash, Now I have seen these before on Oak and have never knew what they were. After looking it up I think that I have the anawer, can anybody on here spot what it is, Like a comp really but sadly no prize.

29102007001.jpg

29102007.jpg

29102007003.jpg

Good luck.

Simon.

Jodie

Native
Aug 25, 2006
London
www.google.co.uk
Well obviously I haven't a clue but Google suggests "Hypoxylon thouarsianum" or
"Daldinia grandis" and something related to 'sudden oak death' which might be the
cause of the tree's death after which these carbon ball fungi swoop in...

Do I get partial credit? Or do I win? :red:

:D

SOAR

Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
Not very good comp I know, at first I thought they were like a ball fungus, but they are not hard they are jelly like.

SOAR

Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
Don't know them Simon... Cramp balls do grow on oak though, I have seen them growing on one...

I thought that I had seen them on Oak before, Very high up on the tree when I was on my tree climbing course.

Simon.

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
In the collins guide it mentioned a fungus that looks like cramp ball..... if I can just get off the sofa.... actually it gives a latin name but no pic!
Sorry book upstairs too much of an adventure for me on monday night.
D

Jodie

Native
Aug 25, 2006
London
www.google.co.uk
That is a good site, although it would help if the information was presented pictorially
first :)

I'm thinking of getting my name legally changed to Flammulina velutipes now.

Flam.

SOAR

Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
It's not a bad site, I know what you mean about the images, pretty name by the way.

Simon.

xylaria

Not very good comp I know, at first I thought they were like a ball fungus, but they are not hard they are jelly like.

This is a clue.

I think it has a name sake country on the black sea, and no i don't think it is turkey tail.

BTW i have seen cramp balls on beach, there is also a daldinia that grows on burnt gorse which is really common where I live, mainly because the country park has people that drop bottle and lit fags in hegderows. The only thing is it really small compared to cramp ball. It does burn though.

SOAR

Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
Pretty sure its Bulgaria inquinans - Black Bulgar. they look like old specimens though.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE