Fungi Foray in Friday Forest

Biddlesby

Settler
May 16, 2005
Frankfurt
(ok, it's actually Friday Wood but that sounds better).

This was in Friday Wood near Colchester, essex, yesterday. It was lead by Ian Rose, who was a real expert! People just waved soggy 'shrooms in his general direction and he'd rattle off names. I'm sure only half of them were made up...

Anyway I learnt alot (even if I did get soaking wet in the process), and found my first cep! Best specimen of the day, and it was the best mushroom I've tasted. Here are some pictures.

A jelly fungus:
jelly.jpg

We were sent off into the woods literally carpeted with mushrooms to collect specimens to bring back. It seemed like a very destructive way to do things, but hey. Scroll down and you will see what I mean....

Cimg0619.jpg

Cimg0620.jpg

As you can see there was quite a variety. Some panther caps were found, and some very nice fly agarics. No death caps, though, but I'm sure not everybody came out of the woods that went in so maybe some were found....

Mr_Rimps

Forager
Aug 13, 2006
Hampshire
Wow, what a collection. Great photos too!

I went on a foray on the 22nd with Fenlander. He also had a local expert who was very knowledgable and even munched on a mushroom or two on the way around. I was expecting him to drop any moment ;)

Wish I remembered my camera :eek:

Biddlesby

Settler
May 16, 2005
Frankfurt
There were a few other (slighty smaller piles) around too that I neglected to photograph!

But there were still plenty left in the wood to admire. I've never seen so many.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE