Friction folder

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
If one would drill a hole in the tang of a blade, would it be possible to make a friction folder out of a regular stick tang knife blade?:confused:

Last edited:

WULF

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 19, 2012
South Yorkshire
I wouldn't say so niels,the stick is central to the blade,ideally it needs to be at the top.im sure more imput will be given but thats my opinion.
have you thought of a svord peasant to pimp???

bushwacker bob

Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
Yes, If you have carbide drill bits that can drill a hole through hardened steel. Then you only have the problem of the tang being in the wrong place.

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
WULF, That one Svord knife posted on here not to long ago is what resparked my interest in friction folders.
I think what you both say is correct, if the knife is in an opened position, there would be a gap between the handle scales.

About the drilling, is there no way of de-tempering the tang without affecting the blade temper to much?

I can't seem to find any dealers of svord peasant knives in the Netherlands:(

WULF

Mar 19, 2012
South Yorkshire
the svord is a great knife and cheap.
have you tried hiennes? im not sure if they post overseas though,,,if they dont i would be willing to get one posted to me and then i'll forward to you if you cover the cost??

WULF, That one Svord knife posted on here not to long ago is what resparked my interest in friction folders.
I think what you both say is correct, if the knife is in an opened position, there would be a gap between the handle scales.

About the drilling, is there no way of de-tempering the tang without affecting the blade temper to much?

Last edited:

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
Thanks for the offer, very kind.
I looked at their f.a.q page and they do ship to other countries:D
I think I will be ordering me one of those soon.

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland

Stick the blade in a frozen melon. Torch the tang. ;)

though, as has been said the tang on a normal stick tang is in the wrong place to make a friction folder. You'll end up with a very odd swing on the blade.

Cheers

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Stick tang blade - a bit back from the end bend the tang 90 degrees upwards then between the new corner and the tip, put another 90 degree bend but to the side.

not the best solution but it will work - you will need to put a notch in the handle for the bent section to locate into.

There may be other ways around it but it was my first thought.

You could always commission a local smith to make a stick tang with the tang coming out at the top. If going this route I would receommend making some measurements and calculations on pivot and stop pin locations yourself as I've had a bad experience with a smith making friction folder blades which were fairly unusable due to poor thought given to where pivot and stop pin would be located.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE