Freedom trail tent

CBJ

Native
Jan 28, 2009
Aberdeenshire
Well Ive been up since 5 am bored out of my skull ( which is unusual for me). Just had a delivery and it was my new tent .

Now I am a hammocker and will always choose a hammock or sometimes a bivvi and tarp when I am out on my own but if I want to get the missus and kids out it has to be a tent.

We really needed a bigger tent so we decided to go for this one from Go Outdoors which had a hefty discount on it.

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/eskdale-6-p207087

Looks good and as soon as this rain stops ill be out in the field putting it up.

Has anybody used or had any experience with this tent or make?.

( No connection to Go Outdoors etc etc)

atb

Craig

Last edited:

Reaps72

Forager
Jul 20, 2011
West Yorkshire
I had a similar Vango one a few years back, my advice is, make sure it's pitched side on to the wind & not length ways!

Similar to this but an older model http://www.simplyhike.co.uk/products/Vango/Icarus800Tent-SurfBlue.aspx

Ours got flattened in some relatively gusty but persistent weather overnight, nothing I'd call major pack up & go home stuff, but the poor thing ended up with the poles all cracked or snapped, canopy ripped at said points & a few guys gone too!

I have to say though once I repaired all the poles & sewed the rips etc it served us for another good 5 years of family camping 2-3 times a year!

As for the make I can't comment, sorry!

roger-uk

Settler
Nov 21, 2009
long Eaton
I had a similar Vango one a few years back, my advice is, make sure it's pitched side on to the wind & not length ways!

Similar to this but an older model http://www.simplyhike.co.uk/products/Vango/Icarus800Tent-SurfBlue.aspx

Ours got flattened in some relatively gusty but persistent weather overnight, nothing I'd call major pack up & go home stuff, but the poor thing ended up with the poles all cracked or snapped, canopy ripped at said points & a few guys gone too!

I have to say though once I repaired all the poles & sewed the rips etc it served us for another good 5 years of family camping 2-3 times a year!

As for the make I can't comment, sorry!

Good tents but make sure you use all the guy lines and its guyed firmly the tent needs them no matter what the conditions.

Pitching end onto wind or in shelter is also sensible.

tartanferret

Aug 25, 2011
barnsley
+1 for the other points mentioned.

Have a trial run before you go camping ! I'm savvy with tents but we got something similar and i got aggrro:mad:, followed the instructions, But it came from the factory inside out / topsy-turvy,

it did not make sense !

good luck matey:)

CBJ

Native
Jan 28, 2009
Aberdeenshire
Cheers mate,

Yeah I am going to get it set up in the field outside our house before I go anywhere. Last thing I want is to arrive somewhere only to find there is something wrong with it.

Still im getting the kids into the idea of hammocks so when there a bit older they will get their own.

Atb

Craig

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE