Fox ! perhaps not.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
That’s the last time I take a fox track for granted.
Yesterday when I was walking through a sand quarry I spotted a Hare from around 400 meters away, I paid particular attention the ground it was on so I could cross over and get a look at his tracks. On closer inspection the similarity to a Fox track was quite remarkable. The complete gait was very distinctive, and obviously the fore feet and hind feet vary greatly in length. The front and rear pads are also of different sizes, but at a run only the front part of the larger rear pad touches the ground and this is where it could get confusing, if you were to find one or two hind feet in isolation it would be all too easy to jump to the fox conclusion .
After a closer look I notest the 1st and 4th digital pads are slightly off parallel and there is defenatly no interdigital pad so watch out for that next time you find a “FOX” track.

.. .
..same track plus 48 hours with wind and heavy rain.
All images are HARE tracks Lepus capensis.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE