Found it

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

saxonaxe

Nomad
Sep 29, 2018
SW Wales
For a very long time I have been searching for an increasingly rare species, a vehicle, pre nanny era. One with a handbrake (lever, not a button) wind down windows, no built in Sat Nav,or buzzers to tell me the tyres are flat, windscreens wipers that come on when I switch them on and not before (I know when it's raining 'cos the screen gets wet..) I'm clever like that..and door locks that I need to put a key in and turn, not press a button. Five hours on a train to collect, but well worth the enforced captivity with a 'phone gazing herd of Zombies for five hours..:laugh:

One owner, 46,000 miles, full service history. 1.7 CDI 5 speed manual, and I can camp in it.

:thumbsup:

saxonaxe

Nomad
Sep 29, 2018
SW Wales
Back in the day they were the fastest car known to man.. there was always one on up your rear end.
:) About 25 years ago a black Astra van with lowered suspension, big fat exhaust and smoked glass windows appeared in the street where I lived. Funny, I thought, that's a lot of effort just for a van...I had a lift in it one day. Mama mia!

Mine too could easily be Good Bye License if I'm not careful. :laugh:

I had one of them once, the only thing I didn't like was the orange dash. Nice wheels :)
Ah! The speedo, rev counter lighting etc: ? After driving my old Ford for so long it's just nice to have a lit display of any kind..:laugh:

Reactions: grizzlyj

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
Love the van!
I thought about getting one but decided my Skoda fabia estate being of a similar size would ‘do’. I consequently took out all the seats and made a 2x1 timber frame that serves two purposes; 1, mainly for my ladder which just fits and is tied down with dinghy line.
2, a bed just in case!
Underneath is ‘storage’ with sections to keep my big SDS drill, jig-saw, screw box & odds n’sods such as plumbing fittings. OR if I go camping these will be replaced with more food & water rather than the emergency items & grab bag.
The rest of the top space is hand tools, an aluminium folding hop-up which serves more purposes than I could write and cordless Makita stuff.
I also have a ‘Caranex’ tent for longer trips but that is not on board ‘till needed.
Being anonymous is the main thing with this set up and as a van was considerably more £’s the estate car won at £900.
I suppose a Skoda Roomster would be my next step up as I could build a rack system with the roof being higher.
@saxonaxe I hope you have fun creating the inner space, I enjoyed building mine.
S

saxonaxe

Nomad
Sep 29, 2018
SW Wales
Thanks Swyn. My intentions are not to construct any fixed structure within the van, but rather take the same route as I am doing with my boat. A 'Galley Box' or Kitchen Box I suppose in this case, either a ply box or even a plastic storage box with stove, cooking pots, etc; and a food/stores box both of which I can secure in the van and remove easily. I often use one of those surplus Romanian ? Czech? bed rolls on a foam mat, which will roll up and stow easily in the van. For interior lighting I've decided to use the simple self adhesive LED battery lights, rather than drill holes and run 12 volt wiring in the back of the van, everything done on the KISS principle will suit me.
I've started playing with a cheap tarp to make an add-on 3 sided 'Tent' that I can rig from the raised tail gate to provide room outside. I know commercial versions are available for Fiat, Peugeot and other mini campers, which I can probably copy. Only stumbling point at the moment is finding a way to release the tail gate from inside, I'll have to remove the inside panel and see if I can sort something out. The van has a half height forward bulkhead which means Ninja tricks to get out over the passenger seat..:laugh:
I've got two projects on the go at the moment, I've just fitted bilge pumps, masthead light and removable Battery Box and fuse box on the boat and now the van is under attack..No time to get bored..:roflmao:

Reactions: swyn

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
I know what you mean re simplicity. I have soooo many things that I need to have to hand when I’m at work hence some kind of organiser so I built the wooden framework else I’d never find anything!
My wife tells me the little car really should have a handle on the roof as it is really a tool box:laugh:
Dinghy battery is on my list but laying 132 paving slabs is taking priority at the mo.
There is an OGA rally mid May at Tollesbury that I’d like to attend and I am planning to launch at B’sea and two tacks should get me there.
First sail since my knee was replaced in 2019. Wow!!!
That’s my focus and I walk by the dinghy every day thinking ‘I’ll have your cover off soon’:)
S

saxonaxe

Nomad
Sep 29, 2018
SW Wales
I'm sure you have your own ideas with regard to a Battery Box, but for what it's worth, this is what I have done for my boat.
An over size Battery Box which is a secure snug fit at the base of the mast only needing a couple of lashings to prevent it going swimming in the event of a total capsize. A fuse box, a 3 bank switch and the green thing on the battery allows me to isolate the battery from the circuit totally if needed or when leaving the boat unattended. On the switch panel is a Cigarette lighter type socket and a couple of USB ports for charging or 12V power supply. I've set the fuses /switches onto a piece of ply which is removable and allows stowage underneath for spare fuses, bulbs etc:

Power on.

I can either take it ashore or charge the battery onboard from the Marina shore supply. All I have to do is plug the bilge pump and masthead light in when I return aboard if I take the whole rig ashore.

• Love
Reactions: swyn

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE