foraging

ocean1975

Jan 10, 2009
rochester, kent
I am going out today to have a bit of a forage can any one help out with wot i am likely to find.So far i can think of cob nuts ,blackberry's,elderberry's and maybe still some wild strawberry's

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I've been nibbling on ripe rose haws this past two or three weeks, and the beech nuts are coming down too.
For gathering for Winter teas, red clover is still out, the wild oregano is in bloom, and the thistle heads are fit for picking for firestarting.

cheers,
Toddy

ocean1975

Jan 10, 2009
rochester, kent
Thanks toddy ,will be looking out for the beech nuts and the cob nuts and hope the squirrels have not beat me to it??? I will also collect some thistle heads as that will be good practice with my new steel, which i lit a fire with for the first time last weekend.I rested a dryed cramp ball on top of the flint and struck it twice with the steel and a spark landed on the fungi then put that in to the prepared bundle of dryed grass and thistle heads and there we had it fire and a big grin on my face..

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
There's plenty of ripe damsons and bullaces around here, worth keeping an eye out and you might also find some wild plums, crab apples, 'wildling' apples etc. I'd also be keeping an eye out for chanterelles, ceps and other wild fungi I am certain I can recognise, if you're unsure then don't eat but worth trying to identify them. It might be a bit early but you might find some feral hops, certainly in your neck of the woods.

ocean1975

Jan 10, 2009
rochester, kent
Yes your right slowworm,I found some wild plums the other day and i also no where a crab apple tree is.Not too sure on my fungi yet so wont be eating any thou i did find a dryard fungi the other day and hoof fungus. Mind you would love to come across some chanterelles or ceps the penny bun i could id .

Oct 6, 2008
Cheshire
Near me at the moment it seems all the Autumn stuff is out early. Sloes, Damsons, blackberries, hawthorns, rosehips are all getting nibbled on my daily strolls.

rawshak

Forager
Jan 11, 2009
Cornwall
Most of the Autum nuts, berries and seeds are starting to ripen nicely now, as are the fruits (found a pear tree growing wild just this morning). You're a bit late for the wild strawberries though, they ar over by early-mid July usually.

ocean1975

Jan 10, 2009
rochester, kent
Well i went out and done a bit of foraging and saw lots of things ,but came home with blackberries and crab apples and made a lovely pie which we had with custard for afters tonight,not a scrap left.Cant wait to be able to go out again and see wot i can find for dinner.Thanks for your replies,much appreciated.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE