Flying Mice!

redcollective

Settler
Dec 31, 2004
West Yorkshire
Okay - I was out this evening giving myself the heebie-jeebies while out walking through the woods in the dark (cmon- moon where are ya?) when I saw something little and moth-like ( but way too big) flutter in an arc from a big oak I think it was - silhouetted against the dull glow from the town lights. I finally realised it must a be a bat! (First uk bat sighting for me so please forgive the enthusiasm). I stopped to watch for a while and saw several, then saw a much bigger bat-thing flop a bit more lazily away from the trees out over an adjoining field, doing some pretty impressive areobatics, I presume feeding?

What hope is there of finding out what they were? I cant actually see much but a silhouette and even that is pretty indistinct. Any advice? West Yorkshire if that is any clue to distribution?

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
redcollective said:
Okay - I was out this evening giving myself the heebie-jeebies while out walking through the woods in the dark (cmon- moon where are ya?) when I saw something little and moth-like ( but way too big) flutter in an arc from a big oak I think it was - silhouetted against the dull glow from the town lights. I finally realised it must a be a bat! (First uk bat sighting for me so please forgive the enthusiasm). I stopped to watch for a while and saw several, then saw a much bigger bat-thing flop a bit more lazily away from the trees out over an adjoining field, doing some pretty impressive areobatics, I presume feeding?

What hope is there of finding out what they were? I cant actually see much but a silhouette and even that is pretty indistinct. Any advice? West Yorkshire if that is any clue to distribution?
Sounds like a bat, they are great, get quite a lot of em round here, love to watch em. Small ones are usually pipetrelles, but I am no expert...........?

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Hard to tell em apart except for size. We have long ears (in the loft :D) and pippis round here in great numbers but the first is normally known as "sheeet" as they pass 6" above my head. BB calls em "flittermice" which I think should be adopted as a default term :)

Red

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Here is a flittermouse we found down in devon..........
dsc02548largenh5.jpg

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
You could get yourself a bat detector, a good one (if you know how to use it properly) can tell you what species they are as their calls are distinctive. Try the local rangers, around here they are pretty good and run bat walks and bring along bat detectors and experts. The detectors can be fairly expensive though, but we don't need one as my daughter can hear the bats without any help! :borgsmile

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Goose said:
You could get yourself a bat detector, a good one (if you know how to use it properly) can tell you what species they are as their calls are distinctive. Try the local rangers, around here they are pretty good and run bat walks and bring along bat detectors and experts. The detectors can be fairly expensive though, but we don't need one as my daughter can hear the bats without any help! :borgsmile
Yes, youngsters can hear bats, I can still hear the odd bit here and there, but a bat detector will do the job, but you can get them cheap, or make your own, will tell more when my head is not swimming with glenmorangie and I can find links..............

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Bats are cool.

Mind you, I'll never forget seeing fruit bats in Australia - they're absolutely huge. When one of those drops out of a tree right next to you and flaps off, you really know about it! Almost needed fresh trousers the first time that happened... ;)

loz.

Settler
Sep 12, 2006
Dublin,Ireland
www.craobhcuigdeag.org
gregorach said:
Bats are cool.

Mind you, I'll never forget seeing fruit bats in Australia - they're absolutely huge. When one of those drops out of a tree right next to you and flaps off, you really know about it! Almost needed fresh trousers the first time that happened... ;)

COncur with that - Saw fruit bats in Animal Kingdom in Florida - There were like winged rabbits !! - must have a yard wingspan ( tip to tip ) easily !

bent-stick

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
surrey
www.customarchery.net
Jon Pickett said:
Yes, youngsters can hear bats, I can still hear the odd bit here and there, but a bat detector will do the job, but you can get them cheap, or make your own, will tell more when my head is not swimming with glenmorangie and I can find links..............

I'm sure we made a bat detector when I worked at electronics today. I might still have the plans for it in my attic. Problem is it probably has valves :) it was so long ago. You can probably get single chip heterodynes now.

dave k

Nomad
Jun 14, 2006
Blonay, Switzerland
gregorach said:
Bats are cool.

I remember sitting in my grandparents backgarden in Hornsby, watching them fly out to the sunset. You'd clap, and they would all change direction!

seany boy

Nomad
Mar 21, 2006
Lincolnshire
Hi everyone
i was out in Gambia a while back and saw huge Fruit Bats over there, really amazing.
Funny thing happened though, the first one i saw flew overhead as i was talking to one of the locals and i could'nt help but comment "god look at the size of that Bat!" Well seeing i was impressed he obviously felt the need to further enhance my experience and said " yes they come and steel my chickens".Well i didn't want to offend him but it was a real stuggle not to laugh :D . Cant help wondering how many people he's managed to terrify with storys of carnivorous Fruit Bats :rolleyes: :D

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Here is a link to making your own bat detector link, still going to cost £35 though, cheapest shop bought one is about £50, but all you hear is the bats clicking, you need to understand the different types of clicking, that each species of bat do. You can spend a bit more and get one of these. I think this one converts the clicking into English for you.......... :D
Just found one for 52 euros http://www.batdetektor.de.vu/

ilan

Nomad
Feb 14, 2006
bromley kent uk
We were fortunate to see some bats in our local park , if you can get near some water they can often be seen in the beam of good torch shone parall to the surface of the water . They are very acrobatic however i think they will be going into "Hibernation " soon. They dont actually hibernate but slow the heart beat down to about 15 beats per min .

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE