flint ?

primitive man

Jun 18, 2008
west midlands
dear all was wondering if anyone would be able to send some flint spalls to me as there is no flint where i live here in the west midlands. will pay postage or trade. many thanks alex

Forest fella

Jul 2, 2008
Gloucestershire
just made a Large Soft Hammer for removing Long thin Flakes,I had alook around and found that if your in the market for a Large soft Antler Hammer,they cost a small fortune,And I'm to tight to spend that kind of cash,So I had alook in my box of Antler cut-offs and found a pretty big Crown section,so I drilled in a hole large enough to be able to put a 1 inch piece of Dowel in,And Glued it in and put a pin through both.Hoping it works,anyone else tried this?

primitive man

Jun 18, 2008
west midlands
no mate i just sand down the frilly part of the crown. heres some of my kit.

Picture040-1.jpg

Picture011-1.jpg

alex

Forest fella

Jul 2, 2008
Gloucestershire
No it doesn't seem to make any difference,the dowel is about 8''s long and it's set in the Antler about 1'' 1/2 and the Antler Crown does a Great job,Maybe to do with the weight,As a normal soft hammer is usually a one piece deal as you all know,So the whole thing is heavier,This way the weight is where you want it at the striking point.Seems to work pretty good,plus it's a cheap way of doing it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE