flint knife

primitive man

Jun 18, 2008
west midlands
dear all had a knap today and made this little knife.

Picture077.jpg

Picture078.jpg

Picture079.jpg

alex

ForgeCorvus

Nomad
Oct 27, 2007
norfolk
Very nice. Just out of interest how sharp ar they say in comparison to a modern carbon steel knife

Flint, no contest
Knaped stone (or glass for that matter) ends up with an edge one molecule thick, I don't think that even some of the hardcore honers on here can beat that

However, I'd love to find out how long these two blades would stay sharp (something like how many times could they cut through 1/2 inch hemp rope, sheets of paper or a standard thickness of leather)

For most of the things we do, steel is better because its easier to sharpen

All this said, I wish I could knap half as good

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
It depends on the edge too, the polished axe that John and Will had at the Moot this year wasn't sharp per se, but it would cut timber just fine. The edge was robust though. A flaked blade is incredibly sharp, some small flakes are being used for surgery as they are far superior to any steel blades used for the job. Obviously, this fine edge will deteriorate over time if cutting something very hard, but the beauty is that a professional knapper would be able to retouch that edge and get it good again. The downside again though is that the tool will eventuall be reduced dramatically in size as it is used and retouched. The upsode is you gain more practise making the next one!

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Nice bit of knapping, something I will have to put some time into sometime. There is a site in Dorset where they were turning shale bracelets with flint tools up to 50 AD that is long after the widespread availability of steel tools. I guess sharpening is very quick to retouch and a skilled knapper can make the simple flakes they were turning with in seconds. Stone takes the edge off a steel tool pretty quick too.

Damian Goodburn runs a nice course where you go out in the woods and play with stone, bronze and steel tools, when it comes to woodworking metal does the job a whole lot better.

spiritofold

Banned
May 7, 2004
Winchester
www.spiritofold.co.uk
Got to admire those ancients for their knapping skills, and the woodworkers who used stone tools. Just imagine if flint tools were the norm today? A whole new skill set to carpentry!

Andy >>>>>-----------------------------------<>

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE