Flint knapping with John Lord

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Just back from a great day out on a workshop with John and Val Lord. I was made to feel very welcome, the weather was hot and sunny and the Norfolk countryside very relaxing. I didn't hear another car until the end of the day, which is quite a strange thing when you are always on or next to one every day.

More pictures here http://woodsmancrafts.blogspot.co.uk/2013/07/flint-knapping-with-john-lord.html, but heres a taste of the day.

A Flint Hand Axe John made as a demo. He took a huge flint nodule and reduced it in no time at all down to this.

I managed to make a few pieces thorough the day with Johns help, and I enjoyed making this leaf point

I've a long way to go, and theres some practice needed but it was good to know some of what I've been learning at home was correct and to have the questions answered on the other areas I was struggling with.

John and his son Will put on excellent workshops in various primitive skills, pay them a visit or catch them at a show if you get chance.

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
Thats something I have wanted to do for a long time, and I have a birthday coming up soon, if my wife is reading this just add it to the list:)

Jul 20, 2012
Stourbridge
www.etsy.com
That's a nice point - have you knapped before?

There is a uk knapping & trad crafts advice site that you may find helpful, dunno if i'm allowed to link it here, but it's in my profile as my homepage :)

palmnut

Forager
Aug 1, 2006
N51° W002°
John and Val are incredibly welcoming. I had to keep reminding myself that I hadn't know them for ages - you're instantly one of the family when you go to spend some time there. If you have the money, the time and the inclination *do* give them a call and make that booking - you'll remember the day for a long time.

Peter

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
That's a nice point - have you knapped before?

There is a uk knapping & trad crafts advice site that you may find helpful, dunno if i'm allowed to link it here, but it's in my profile as my homepage :)

Thanks. Ive done a bit of easy stuff, but not nearly as well as I'd like.
I'll have a look at that site. Cheers.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE