Flattening out Birch Bark and What's that thing called

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

redcollective

Settler
Dec 31, 2004
West Yorkshire
Question 1. I've had a few little sheets of nice birch bark stored away but the blimmin stuff has curled up. How can I flatten it out again? I was contemplating steam but fear that would ruin it. Anyone help? Needed for a scandi knife I'm making atm.

Question 2. What is the name for the almost opalescent quality in wood you get with some varieties. I've heard it called something specific before but can't for the life of me remember. Hard to describe - like a lustre that appears to be a bit deeper than the surface. Perhaps I dreamt it.

Cheers,

Stu

redcollective

Settler
Dec 31, 2004
West Yorkshire
That's it! Chatoyance! :You_Rock_

Thankyou! It's been bugging me all evening since I started giving Mrs Redcollective one of my Talks about thing knife making related (well you can't call them conversations 'cause she just nods and says "That sounds nice dear... hmm really... wow" just before her eyes glaze over.) :D

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Pop the birch bark into a tray and add warm (not hot just luke warm) water, let the bark absorb it and it'll curl right up but also go very flexible.
If you were making containers then you do this just before you're about to make the pot but if you want it flat for knife spacers then once it's soaked pop it between two bits of wood and clamp it until it's dry.....(or use it wet if that's possible, I've only made containers and never used it in knife making).

Hope that helps,

Bam. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE