flamed rabbit

bushtank

Nomad
Jan 9, 2007
king lynn
hi all
i cooked doe rabbit over a open fire and was suprized just how juicy it was i also cooked a buck rabbit in a cider casarole and it was as tough as old boots why is a doe better than a buck :dunno:

Silverback

Sep 29, 2006
England
It isn't necessarily, it is all down to age I find. A good indication is the ease in which the skin comes off - if its like taking off a glove then the chances are its a good eater. If you need to stand on the back legs to peel it, donate it to the foxes and badgers or cook it low n slowwwwwww ;)

bushtank

Nomad
Jan 9, 2007
king lynn
I didnt skin the doe but i did the buck and yes it was a bugger to get off my wife tells me she cooked it slow but i was not there to see thanks for the advice silverback not sure if i could give a rabbit away to the foxes and bagers :D

Silverback

Sep 29, 2006
England
I shoot in excess of 1000 a year and have eaten more than I care to mention. I also sell a fair few and reserve the easy skinners for my human customers (explanation later ;) ). In older rabbits the Bucks are definitely more densely muscled and tougher but in youngsters (I would say up to 12 months) there is little to choose (chews :D ) between boys and girls. By using the skinning as a guide I am yet to receive a complaint. My customer for the tougher specimens is the Komodo Dragon at London Zoo (no I am not joking :) )

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
A lot of Greek recipies use plenty of olive oil, red wine and shallots to get around the dry tendancy of rabbit, I'd recommend a "Rabbit Stifado" any day - especially if its being cooked by my buddy Queeg9000 :cool:

ATB

Ogri the trog

May 25, 2006
Canada
www.freewebs.com
Silverback said:
I shoot in excess of 1000 a year and have eaten more than I care to mention. I also sell a fair few and reserve the easy skinners for my human customers (explanation later ;) ). In older rabbits the Bucks are definitely more densely muscled and tougher but in youngsters (I would say up to 12 months) there is little to choose (chews :D ) between boys and girls. By using the skinning as a guide I am yet to receive a complaint. My customer for the tougher specimens is the Komodo Dragon at London Zoo (no I am not joking :) )

And I thought cooking for my grandma was intimidating! :lmao:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE