Fisticuffs up Everest

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Hmm - I dunno.

Some of the better climbers race through - get up fast, get down fast, less time at altitude=lessened effect of altitude sickness.

If that's what you were doing and a bunch of guides (who were hauling rich tourists up the mountain) told you to wait, I think you'd go round them.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
There's no stopping Ueli Steck when he's on a mission either

[video=youtube;OmGcRIIIxK8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmGcRIIIxK8[/video]

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
I heard his interview on Radio 4 as I was driving home.

I must say that I wasn't at all clear what exactly triggered it. No one gave the sherpa side of the argument.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
It sounds like something has been brewing for a while amongst the sherpas and the westerners, I doubt we'll ever hear both sides to the story though.

Nothing but press releases to go on so far

Bluffer

Nomad
Apr 12, 2013
North Yorkshire
I've just heard from a Nepalese friend who is a guide out there, he says emotions are running high because four expert Sherpa climbers have sadly lost their lives this season. He also says the mountain is very busy this season.

As Shewie says, we may not hear the full story but I hope this adds some context and balance; whether it's connected to the scuffle or not I think most people who are familiar with Nepalese culture realise that there is a lot more to this incident than has been reported in the popular media.

Certainly I'm not being deterred from planning my next trip out there, which will hopefully be Mera Peak led by a team of Nepalese men and women I know (and respect and trust)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE