Fiskars 14" hatchet

R3XXY

Settler
Jul 24, 2009
Crewe
Well I've just got back from a day out in hills/woods where myself and a friend have just been for a bit of a camp fire.

I was itching to try out the Fiskars hatchet I'd bought my self for xmas. I'd had to take some of the blade coating off the secondary bevel with some 80 grit a couple of days before and give it a bit of a sharpen on my diamond hone because it was really blunt from new and the coating went all the way to the edge, like it had been coated after it had been ground.

But I couldn't believe how well it performed, it took really big bites out of the logs we were chopping and took a scary sharp edge after about 2 minutes of touching up with the hone and a bit of stropping on my jeans. It had absolutely no problems at all, just munched up the firewood.

Was comforable to hold and use, for such a cheap and small axe it's unstoppable.

Can't fault it, great tool to have with you. 10 / 10

susi

Nomad
Jul 23, 2008
Finland
Yes, they're a great tool. For anyone choosing one, try to find the version that has the canvas holster rather than the plastic head guard.

R3XXY

Settler
Jul 24, 2009
Crewe
I didn't know they did one with a canavs sheath, that plastic doodaa is a bit of a pain.
i wonder if I could get one from Fiskars.

R3XXY

Settler
Jul 24, 2009
Crewe
Seems like you can get a generic canvas sheath from anywhere for about a fiver. Why is there ALWAYS something else to buy ??

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
Or get one of these Kydex types!

gerb2.jpg
emailAxeHEADbyGerber.jpg
gerb1.jpg
DSCN2004.JPG
gerb3.jpg

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
I had a gerber one of these, which I've since moved on but after a bit of work it did chop pretty well, great for the money!

PA230005.jpg

And there's always lovely leather :D

PA080263.jpg

Cheers,

Alan

R3XXY

Settler
Jul 24, 2009
Crewe
Hey Susi I've just been on the phone to Fiskars UK, the person I talked to said that they don't sell one with a canvas sheath over here.
She didn't seem to know much at all and couldn't really have been less helpful if she'd tried.
You lucky Finns must get a couple of versions.

Dark Horse Dave

Apr 5, 2007
Surrey / South West London
Does anyone have any links to / names of UK-based suppliers of any sort of ready-made sheath/covering for these axes, or leads on suppliers who might be able to make one up, either in kydex or similar or leather?

susi

Nomad
Jul 23, 2008
Finland
Hey Susi I've just been on the phone to Fiskars UK, the person I talked to said that they don't sell one with a canvas sheath over here.
She didn't seem to know much at all and couldn't really have been less helpful if she'd tried.
You lucky Finns must get a couple of versions.

That's shocking service from Fiskars UK :(

This size axe is known as a "retki kirves", literally "trip/trek axe". The material cover suits it much better IMO. I had check on the Finnish Fiskars site to see if they sold the covers separately, but they don't seem to :(

But in 30 years, when you need another, you can order from the link I posted above, they deliver to the UK and have lots of good quality products. If you spend over 100€ in one go, you become a VIP customer, which means everything is -10% for the next 12 months.

(I'm not linked to the company, just had good service from them).

oetzi

Settler
Apr 25, 2005
below Frankenstein castle
Doing mailorder within the EU is really very simple* and - depending on the country - not too expensive in postage.
Payment is usually easy, too. many companies offer paypal, and outside this nearly everything goes with a credit card.

* even for the population of a certain isolated island:)

Reworking the profile of a Fiskars improves its chopping abilities a lot, as chainsaew mentioned first:
All you need is a lot of elbow grease and some coarse waterstone, say 80-200-600 grid
12-05-009.jpg

Last edited:

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
Does anyone have any links to / names of UK-based suppliers of any sort of ready-made sheath/covering for these axes, or leads on suppliers who might be able to make one up, either in kydex or similar or leather?

Rapidboy.
Rancid Badger.
Dougster.
Topknot.

Try the Makers Market.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE