Fish Hooks

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Have just finished off a couple more 'Primitive' fishing hooks, the hook bodies are made from Ash and the point is a thorn from a hedge up the lane, the whipping has been done with jute twine, ie garden string from the local garden centre, the one on the right with the white flax whipping i made the other day.

DSCN0525.jpg

I went a bit wrong with the larger one as i didn't carve the main body to quite the right shape and this has impacted on the whipping, as it's not as tight and even as it should be, i might take it apart and do it again, but there again, i thinking i could just make another one from scratch, it's not like it takes a long time to do and i also quite like the 'open weave' effect.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Very nice. The pine resin we collected would glue those nicely to stop them falling apart or does the jute shrink in the wet and tighten?

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
The whipping should hold it all together fairly well, but i might add some pine pitch to it just to secure the whipping a bit, seems a bit more shrafty than super glue:D

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Take it along to the Bonfire in Lewes on the 5th, mind you it's probably more flamable than the things they will be burning down there:D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE