First wetformed sheath

Indoorsout

Settler
Apr 29, 2008
Brisbane, Australia
Got this knife in a trade a while back and finally got around to making a sheath for it :) It's a little knife, just over 6" length with a blade just under 3", no idea what metal but it holds a darned good edge

3848538872_f39e2ed155.jpg

3847794783_70dcdb4a3b.jpg

Sheath is 3mm veg finished with Wheelers traditional beeswax furniture cream :) well, it's what I had handy and it did a good job of waterproofing it!

pwb

That's a fine sheath Rafe :) .
Combined with the knife makes a really useful looking package.

I've been reading a lot about how to make a sheath, I'm meaning to have ago at making one for my Mora.
So far I've got various cardboard templates made :rolleyes: .

ATB,

Pete.

Indoorsout

Settler
Apr 29, 2008
Brisbane, Australia
One tip for you then :) which I learned the hard way. Cardboard doesn't bend like leather. Before you cut anything wrap your leather around the knife and measure how much you need to go around and have enough for stitching. I cut my first one straight from the template and the knife wouldn't fit when I'd stitched it! Still, if it teaches something it's not a loss :) and I could still cut the welt from it

Jack_D

May 11, 2009
Midhurst
Rafe,

Beautiful work - it compliments the knife well. Where did you get the leather from for the sheath as this is something I would like to try as I have a frosts 2000 and like the knife but not so happy with the sheath.

Cheers

Jon

TJRoots

Nomad
Jul 16, 2009
East sussex
very nice sheath there.

sorry to be a bit off topic but is that whittling book its resting on any good? been thinking bout buying one and wanna make sure i dont get one thats pants.

TJ

Tye Possum

Nomad
Feb 7, 2009
Canada
Nice sheath, I plan on making one at some point myself but I'm not sure if I'll ever get around to it.

TJRoots said:
sorry to be a bit off topic but is that whittling book its resting on any good? been thinking bout buying one and wanna make sure i dont get one thats pants.
Hi, I hear that one is good but is mostly carving birds and such which might be good if that's what you want but I have his other book called The Little Book of Whittling which has stuff like a spoon, a fork, a walking stick, a slingshot, a canoe, as well as some animals and plants. It's a good book, I'd recommend it.
The authors name is Chris Lubkemann by the way.

TJRoots

Nomad
Jul 16, 2009
East sussex
ok thanks guys :) i'll go for the little book of whittling, as for little wooden birds, maybe oneday, but for now i'll stick to making slightly more practical items :p

TJ

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE