First time beach fishing - shock leader length?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Billy1

Forager
Dec 31, 2012
Norwich
Sorry if this is a stupid question... I've been searching google but am still a bit confused due to varying answers.

I'm going beach fishing for the first time fairly soon. I'll be using a 12ft beach caster and spinning reel.

How much shock leader I should attach to the main line? Most sources say 5-6 winds around the spool, followed by (and the answers vary a bit here) 1.5 to 2 times the length of the rod.

Having just watched a video on casting, the guy said that the weight should be about four foot from the tip of the rod. If the shock leader is supposed to be 5-6 winds of the reel, and then 1.5 to 2 times the length of the rod, then it's already going to be 6ft - 12ft below the tip of the rod anyway, and if you wind it in then there will be too many winds of shock leader on the reel...

Sorry, I know I probably sound like an idiot but I just can't figure out what I'm supposed to do!

Cheers :)

Jul 28, 2008
croydon
Hello
I usually tie the two lines together and then winded the reel in u til I have 3 or 4 winds on the reel then take the shock leader. Spool to the reel and cut it there. It should ensure you have enough leader on the reel no matter how long the drop is when you cast. As long as there is some winds on the reel you will be fine as the leader is there to take the shock as you cast and a few extra winds will make no difference as the line comes off so fast when you cast.

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
2 rod lengths +a few winds is about right. Failing that get yourself a spool of heavier braid and fling it straight through. That's what I do now

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Seagull

Settler
Jul 16, 2004
Gåskrikki North Lincs
Shockleader length , can depend very much on your rod action and the drop length needed for your casting style.
For beaching a good fish by angling the line diagonally to the beach, means you really need to get a few turns of the leader to be on the spool, before you chance bringing the fish through the shallows. Rougher surf means more leader, especially in flat venues. On the other hand, in racing spring tides, reduce the leader length so as to lessen the overall effects of the current , hopefully keeping the lead firm on the bottom.
Ceeg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE