First sheath, could do with some help :(

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
Hi guys. I just finished making my first sheath and dyed it with Fiebings water based black dye.
The sheath is made from veg tan leather, but I found that even after 3 coats, the black didn't really soak in all that well, and in places just kind of sat on top of the leather. The leather was dry as can be so I'm a bit stumped.

Even though it wasn't as black as I'd like, I decided to take advantage of that and do a kind of 'worn' look. So I proceeded to seal it all up with some sno seal. I heated the leather and the sno seal, applied and used a hair dryer to soak it in further. I done this about three times all over the sheath in an attempt to water proof it, but when I put som water on it it and gently rubbed with a cloth, the black dye began to come off.

Am I doing something wrong here, or can any of you more experienced guys give me some suggestions?

Here is a picture of the sheath. Sorry for the poor quality, I only have my phone as a camera:

photo1_zpscc957646.jpg

photo_zps0c8ee9eb.jpg

monkey boy

Jan 13, 2009
london
I'm not sure, but it looks pretty good to me I'm sure one of the pro leather workers will help you out with your question, good job on it though :)

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
Thanks mate. I'm reasonably happy with how I put it together, but the dying thing has went pear shaped!
I know there are some excellent leather workers on here, so hopefully someone will give me a few pointers.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE