First of Spring Hike In The Mountains

Well…since it is spring, and today was the last day of Sarah’s Spring Break…and since she was nice enough to take me out for coffee a couple of days ago…I decided to take her and hit the woods for a while to see what signs of spring we could find....not many. We went up to the Indian Rock House again, all the leaves are still down so you can see further in these pics than in the ones from last summer.

My Sarah, and the trail ahead.

IMG_0789.jpg

IMG_0790.jpg

Still signs of winter around…guess we had a good nut crop this year, the squirrels didn’t eat all the hickory nuts as I found a lot of them.

HickoryNut.jpg

Then I found this burl and thought of BB.

Burl-1.jpg

The sky was nice and blue.

IMG_0793.jpg

and it was pretty warm.. See Mice..it really is her knife

IMG_0791.jpg

Found an odd rock..

Rockformation.jpg

then finally made it to the stairs

AtTheStair.jpg

Guess I was moving fast enough and she got worried about me…guess I’m not supposed to stop and look at anything….

GoingDownTheStairs.jpg

It’s funny…I have pictures from the winter of ferns all pretty and green right next huge icicles but now they’re mostly all brown.

BrownFerns.jpg

We stopped under the shelter rock and Sarah decided to draw with charcoal from a previous fire…first she left evidence of her passing I suppose…

Kitten.jpg

Then she drew a compass as I wandered around the area taking pictures

SarahsCompass.jpg

IndianRockHouse.jpg

I found another burl; this one was about three feet in diameter.

Burl2.jpg

IMG_0848.jpg

This is a shot looking back at Sarah under the shelter

SarahUnderShelterwitharrow.jpg

Then I went back and we went the other way.. over the rocks the trail winds on and on

SarahOnTheRocks.jpg

Sarah.jpg

SarahonTrail.jpg

Trail-1.jpg

WindingTrail.jpg

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Nice post MW, lovely countryside :) Makes me wish I could get my daughter to join me for the occasional walk but tried and failed she has no interest at all :(

Looks like you two had a great day out. Thanks for sharing.

It was a great day, thanks, glad you enjoyed it.

Nice post MW, lovely countryside :) Makes me wish I could get my daughter to join me for the occasional walk but tried and failed she has no interest at all :(

Sarah has always been interested but she's getting to "that age" and I am trying to get as much time in with her as I can before boy-friends and work take that time away from me. I'm going to miss these hikes.

traderran

Settler
May 6, 2007
TEXAS USA
Hi Bry they grow up all to soon. Our-es are all grown an gone
that rock looks interesting ever hear of the K.O.G.C. a Good friend has been looking for that treasure for 40 years. You never know

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
mistwalker: I run across a rock just like that every once in a while in the Ozarks. They are a natural rock although they can look sort of man-made. The odd thing about them is that I have never seen two or more together in the same place. Whatever conditions made them were few and far between and apparently very localized. I suppose a geologist could tell you what they are.

hanzo

Nomad
Feb 12, 2006
Hawaii
hanzosoutdoors.blogspot.com
Mistwalker, I am glad you seized the moment and spent it with Sarah. I try to spend lots of time with my kids too. You can always make more money, but never get time back. Thanks for sharing your time with her with us.

Lovely pictures as usual Mistwalker. You certainly are blessed to near such a beautiful land.

Thank you, I'm glad you enjoyed them.

Yes , I know that I am indeed blessed. I can't wait to see it all in full life again. Don't get me wrong, I love the Autumn, and even the winter but after three months of lifelessness it's always good to see the green growth again.

Grey Owl

Tenderfoot
Nov 26, 2006
Canada
voyagetothebay.cauc.ca
Good to see the white blazes of the AT again. I spent three years living at a camp whose property was adjacent to the trail. As a result I spent uncounted days hiking, wandering, sitting, and sleeping on that long narrow strip of sanity.

It makes me miss the early spring back east, in fact, I can almost taste the water of my favorite spring, Thanks for transporting me back.

Good to see the white blazes of the AT again. I spent three years living at a camp whose property was adjacent to the trail. As a result I spent uncounted days hiking, wandering, sitting, and sleeping on that long narrow strip of sanity.

It makes me miss the early spring back east, in fact, I can almost taste the water of my favorite spring, Thanks for transporting me back.

Glad you enjoyed the pictures, I sure enjoyed the hike!

Lovely pics again MW

Thanks Shewie, I'm glad you liked them. Sometimes I could just walk in up there and not come back for days!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE