First bit of leather work - Knife Sheath

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
After talking to folks at the last west mids meet, and gaining a few ideas on how to tackle the daunting task of making a sheath on my own, I gave it a go, but its a bit rough compared to others ive seen on here.
It was quite hard to sew through the awled holes, particularly with the welt, so decided to drill with a small bit, no pillar drill so had to do it with a cordless, quite tricky hence the stitching being a bit wobbly.

But im chuffed to bits, and love the dark tan against the light linen thread. The extra bit of stitch helps to click the knife home, into the wet form.
It seemed daft having made the knife with Singe and not having a hand made sheath to go with it.
The top part of the dangler is from another sheath, with the bar removed and a ring popped in so I can sit down easyer.
Might tool some design into it one day, and make a pouch or two.

Addo :)

Gailainne

Life Member
Nice job Addo, I've found those little stitching wheels makes a big difference, in laying out your thread holes, I think you can get them as part of those sewing kits Lidls and Aldi sell some times, and also the real ones from Le Provo.

Heres a link to some of MikeT's work on BB, outstanding stuff, also a little tutorial.

Nice one mate

Stephen

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Nice looking sheath, like the contrast of the thread and leather colours.

I really like the look of your knife, what is it?

Cheers, Its a carbon steel, 3mm full tang, deep bevel for easy food prep/slicing with a micro convex bevel so its still ok for batoning. Carves good too, but a scandi grind just has it on a feather stick Very easy to sharpen on a strop with paste.
The handle is yew, and from a large amount of wood removed during a hedge restoration I did in a country park around 5 years ago. I like the sapwood against the heartwood, like a bow.
Brass pins riveted over, and a fancy fella in the middle.

Thanks for the leather and advice Stephen.

Barney

Settler
Aug 15, 2008
Lancashire
Nice one Addo,

The white thread against the dark brown is very brave. You have pulled it off as well, the contrast looks great.

No wonder your pleased with yourself.:)

Diligence

Forager
Sep 15, 2008
Calgary, Canada
Looks good Addo....for drilling holes "free hand" you can make yourself a jig. I used some thin hardwood, drilled a pilot hole, then used the jig overtop of the leather to ensure that all my holes had the same attitude.

cheers,
D

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Cheers guys, been invited to a leatherworkers for a tutorial, so hopefully be able to improve standards a bit.

brancho

Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
The sheath is better than my first attempt well done

Cheers guys, been invited to a leatherworkers for a tutorial, so hopefully be able to improve standards a bit.

That should help a lot I would say I wish I had been taught by someone who new what they were doing instead from reading tutorials (they have helped a lot though)

Nice work Paul looks great with the knife , and doesnt it feel good to have made it all your self :) only tip I can give you is , you will never get straight stitches using a drill I have tried , I do all mine by hand now with a bradal i made specialy for the job but I am still learning and still getting wonky stitches lol

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE