First attempt at lacing

greensurfingbear

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Also a first attempt at making a wallet.... Big Thanks to dreadhead for his advice.

rajuduma.jpg
yhu2y4es.jpg

I'm not happy with it...I'll consider this a prototype. It'll do until the next one anyway lol

Orric

Last edited:

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Thats fantastic! A little tip for staining - if youre using spirit based dyes: wet the surface with white spirit first and you'll get a much more even finish

I think I prefer that aged, wooden type effect more than a solid dye. Really attractive wallet though mate, keep it up!

I'd have the laceing coloured also if it were my pocket pal, but all the same it looks very nice!

greensurfingbear

Thanks guys. The lacing could be a little neater and the dye is streaky and I'm not happy with interior card slots. But for a first try, it'll do. I'll check which dye I have as didn't know about wetting leather first. What is the best way to get an even spread of dye? I'm guessing multiple coats would do it but then it'd get darker. And what's the best tool for applying it?

Orric

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
looking good bud!

you could dilute some dye with white spirit, then apply in very light coats to build up the colour without making it too dark. thats what i do with my pro oil dye, but to be honest im still a novice when it comes to dyes!

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
I dilute my Oil Pro dyes with IDA (you need to register to buy it) but something like Surgical Spirit (from the chemist) still has a pretty high percentage of alcohol. Once I've applied a couple of coats and got it as even as I can, I then wrap the piece up in clingfilm and leave it for 24 hours, before unwrapping. This keeps the leather damp and seems to help the dye to distribute more evenly. I then find it usually wants another day to dry completely, and lose the spirit smell.

For Fiebings standard dyes (thought not water based), damping the leather with water has a similar result.

Alternatively, you can do what I've also seen on here, and make the uneven dyeing into a feature, e.g. by stroking the applicator in parallel lines across the piece.

Geoff :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE