Fire striker review

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mike8472

Jul 28, 2009
west yorkshire
In the summer I commissioned Andy (Everything Mac) to make me a striker.
I was after a striker that incorporated a blade in it; so I could cut and prepare tinder with the one tool so no need to rummage around for a knife saving precious time if you are cold and wet and need to start a fire in a hurry.
I stumbled across a picture on the internet one day and that was the design that gripped me.
I sent Andy the picture and dimensions and this is the finished result.

After getting back off my hols at the beginning of September I have had a few chances to test it out and it works a treat. I added it to my existing fire kit that lives in my rucksack permanently.

Last edited:

Seoras

Mod
Mod
Oct 7, 2004
Bramley, Hampshire
Andy has made a beautiful steel for you Mike.,

I do like the idea of the blade and the way he has curled the steel so you can have a decent handle.

Mike8472

Jul 28, 2009
west yorkshire
the cutting edge is convexed for durability. If push came to shove it could be pressed into service as a knife but I really only use it to prepare the tinder; scraping fatwood sticks, fuzzing up fungus etc.
The curved handle also serves to protect my fingers from the flint. I have on occasion got a little over zealous with my flint and taken chunks out of my thumb and fingers with it.

DFCA

Nomad
Aug 11, 2009
Monmouthshire
Hi
That looks like a nice little kit you have there :)

What else is in the tin, cant help my curiosity as to what other people carry for fire starting!

ATB
Dave

Mike8472

Jul 28, 2009
west yorkshire
On the left of the tin is a Swiss army knife. Then next to it is a Doan US military magnesium block with a paracord lanyard and carbide scraper attached (so I don't blunt my knife on scraping it), wrapped around it are a couple of inner tyre bands that keep the scraper and layard tidy and out the way. to the side of the Magnesium black is a couple of tampons and some cut down fatwood sticks.
On the bottom layer underneath this stuff is a couple of the match packets from the Brit ration packs, some charcloth and some fatwood shavings and birch bark in individual little self seal bags.

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
he he - Glad you like it Mike. its a damn fine little tool - even if I do say so myself. :p
Couldn't believe the price of the thing in the link you sent me!

I made something very similar not that long after I sent yours out Mike; though it ended up as just a knife as opposed to a striker as the cutting edge would have been too close to fingers.

Thanks for the review!

All the best
Andy

Last edited:

DFCA

Nomad
Aug 11, 2009
Monmouthshire
I would love one of these - in a run or as a single.

How much are we looking at for one and where do I sign to say yes please :)

ATB
Dave

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE